Skip to content
Market Trends & Data

User Stats

Votes
Reid Griffith
  • Investor
  • Georgetown, TX
Votes |
Remote Investors - where to get sold / rent comps?

Reid Griffith
  • Investor
  • Georgetown, TX
Posted Oct 24 2022, 14:37

Transitioning into a remote investor so I'm wondering how best to get SOLD and RENT property data? My biggest concern is that a lot of the comps available on the Zillows of the world are mostly from the boom of this past summer and are not reflective of the current market. I know I can ask Agents in the area but was just wondering if there is a site worth paying for or some other alternative so I don't have to bug them 24/7.

User Stats

Votes
Bob Okenwa
  • Real Estate Agent/Investor
  • Peoria, AZ
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent/Investor
  • Peoria, AZ
Replied Oct 24 2022, 18:40

@Reid Griffith

Redfin has been a good source of data for me for getting comps out of state. As for closed rental data, you'll have to get your license or have your agent provide that for you. Looking on Zillow and Trulia should give you a good baseline on what rent in the area is as renters tend to search those sites first and most often.

BP has a rent estimator tool and rentometer.com is another one that seems to be pretty accurate for the areas I look at.

User Stats

Votes
Linda Labbe
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • North Bay, Ontario
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • North Bay, Ontario
Replied Oct 24 2022, 19:27

I never would without a property manager in place I ask them what they will rent the unit for if i get it find that is the best number get my comp from my real-estate agent they run them for me. Find people are the best source for the best numbers. Computer generate data just lets me know if I am interested in looking father into the project

BiggerPockets logo
Find, Vet and Invest in Syndications
|
BiggerPockets
PassivePockets will help you find sponsors, evaluate deals, and learn how to invest with confidence.

User Stats

Votes
Eliott Elias#3 BRRRR - Buy, Rehab, Rent, Refinance, Repeat Contributor
  • Investor
  • Austin, TX
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Austin, TX
Replied Oct 24 2022, 20:09

You would need MLS access to run comps in non disclosure states

User Stats

Votes
Linda Labbe
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • North Bay, Ontario
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • North Bay, Ontario
Replied Oct 24 2022, 21:34

that is for sure or an agent to do it for you

User Stats

Votes
Ruchit Patel
  • Bay area, CA
Votes |
  • Bay area, CA
Replied Oct 24 2022, 22:29

I invest out of state with help of a high-quality turnkey provider. They take care of everything including comps and stuff. If you are interested, we can connect and I will share my experience. 

User Stats

Votes
Reid Griffith
  • Investor
  • Georgetown, TX
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Georgetown, TX
Replied Oct 25 2022, 11:39

Ok, great insight everyone thank you. I've been working with Realtors in the area but didn't want to bug them every day as I hone in on my exact target area. This will all be helpful, thanks again.

User Stats

Votes
Aj Parikh
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Centreville, VA
Votes |
  • Centreville, VA
Replied Oct 25 2022, 12:12

Hi Reid, One of the easiest ways of scaling in real estate today is to invest in turnkey properties out of state. If you have a busy 9-5 routine but have the money to get started and don't have enough time, turnkey companies provide some of the best resources to scale your portfolio. I have used that strategy so feel free to reach out if you want to discuss.

User Stats

Votes
James Wise#5 All Forums Contributor
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Cleveland Dayton Cincinnati Toledo Columbus & Akron, OH
Votes |
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Cleveland Dayton Cincinnati Toledo Columbus & Akron, OH
Replied Nov 18 2022, 05:57
Quote from @Reid Griffith:

Transitioning into a remote investor so I'm wondering how best to get SOLD and RENT property data? My biggest concern is that a lot of the comps available on the Zillows of the world are mostly from the boom of this past summer and are not reflective of the current market. I know I can ask Agents in the area but was just wondering if there is a site worth paying for or some other alternative so I don't have to bug them 24/7.

The local MLS.

User Stats

Votes
Robert Calabro
  • Columbus, OH
Votes |
  • Columbus, OH
Replied Nov 18 2022, 07:25

This might be a bias answer, but a good agent is almost a necessity when you're out of state. They provide you all of the market data you need, and they can physically visit properties and neighborhood on your behalf. 

User Stats

Votes
Nate Sanow
Pro Member
  • I​nvestor & Agent
  • Tulsa, OK
Votes |
Pro Member
  • I​nvestor & Agent
  • Tulsa, OK
Replied Nov 18 2022, 07:37

A good agent won’t think you are bugging them fyi ;) 

User Stats

Votes
Reid Griffith
  • Investor
  • Georgetown, TX
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Georgetown, TX
Replied Nov 18 2022, 19:15
Quote from @James Wise:

The local MLS.

How does one get MLS access?

User Stats

Votes
  • Investor
  • Austin, TX
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Austin, TX
Replied Nov 18 2022, 21:19

Local realtors 

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Bob Stevens
Pro Member
#3 General Landlording & Rental Properties Contributor
  • Real Estate Consultant
  • Cleveland
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Consultant
  • Cleveland
Replied Nov 19 2022, 07:40

You are working to hard. Just connect with those that provide rentals in that area, Let them handle for you. Also, all due respect, If you do not know then you should not be even trying to buy there. GET OFF the internet and connect with those doing deals in that area, keep it simple :) I know many investors that no nothing about certain areas, never been there, they simply let the pros handle for them. 

User Stats

Votes
Bob Stevens
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Consultant
  • Cleveland
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Consultant
  • Cleveland
Replied Nov 19 2022, 07:42
Quote from @James Wise:

The local MLS.

How does one get MLS access?

PLEASE connect with someone doing deals, learn then apply what you learn, BTW Zillow has the same info more or less, Or Redfin or the others, Zillow just type the address in and then click the SOLD tab :) 

User Stats

Votes
Replied Feb 16 2023, 20:47

We are remote investors in the area and due to the "low data" that most websites have on the South Bend area, we take several different websites and average them together. Our go to are usually Avail, TurboTenant, Rentometer, and Zillow.