• Realtor
  • Austin, TX
Votes |
any MF deals in Oklahoma

Qui Chau
  • Realtor
  • Austin, TX
Posted Nov 19 2022, 09:58

Hi. I'm looking to expand on my rental portfolio. Looking for insights into the Oklahoma markets and what has been successful for you? I'm also interested in STR's. Does OC allow them? Thanks y'all!

User Stats

Votes
Maverick Mccaskill
  • Oklahoma
Votes |

Oklahoma County certainly allows STR's as a whole. There are a few neighborhoods with HOA's that don't allow them, but few and far between.

User Stats

Votes
Lara White
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Oklahoma City, OK
Votes |
  • Oklahoma City, OK
Replied Nov 23 2022, 06:45

@Qui Chau Oklahoma County does allow them, but depending on where you buy inside of the county - you might need to apply for a license. Here is the link for Oklahoma City https://www.okc.gov/department... If you are interested in Norman (which is Cleveland County), where the University of Oklahoma is here is the link https://www.normanok.gov/your-... 

What are your metrics for your LTR's?  

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Will Fraser
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Salt Lake City & Oklahoma City
Votes |
  • Real Estate Broker
Replied Nov 23 2022, 08:16

Also please know that when applying for a home sharing license on a property you live in you'll face clouds, rainbows, and unicorns.  When applying for a home sharing license for a property you don't live in your face dragons, hellacious rezoning processes, and sharknados.

User Stats

Votes
Alyssa Dyer
  • Oklahoma City, OK
Votes |
  • Oklahoma City, OK
Replied Nov 25 2022, 17:24
Quote from @Will Fraser:

Also please know that when applying for a home sharing license on a property you live in you'll face clouds, rainbows, and unicorns.  When applying for a home sharing license for a property you don't live in your face dragons, hellacious rezoning processes, and sharknados.

I’ve been having this conversation with so many people lol. It’s pretty unpredictable. 

User Stats

Votes
Alyssa Dyer
  • Oklahoma City, OK
Votes |
  • Oklahoma City, OK
Replied Nov 25 2022, 17:25
Quote from @Qui Chau:

Hi. I'm looking to expand on my rental portfolio. Looking for insights into the Oklahoma markets and what has been successful for you? I'm also interested in STR's. Does OC allow them? Thanks y'all!

I saw you’re from Austin. Do you have STRs there?

User Stats

Votes
Qui Chau
  • Realtor
  • Austin, TX
Votes |
  • Realtor
  • Austin, TX
Replied Nov 25 2022, 18:53
Quote from @Alyssa Dyer:
Quote from @Qui Chau:

I saw you’re from Austin. Do you have STRs there?

User Stats

Votes
Qui Chau
  • Realtor
  • Austin, TX
Votes |
  • Realtor
  • Austin, TX
Replied Nov 25 2022, 18:53

Yes, I have STRs in Austin. Are you doing STRs as well?

User Stats

Votes
Will Fraser
  • Real Estate Broker
Votes |
  • Real Estate Broker
Replied Nov 28 2022, 07:22
Quote from @Alyssa Dyer:
Quote from @Will Fraser:

I’ve been having this conversation with so many people lol. It’s pretty unpredictable. 

Agreed!  It's a wild ride and one that is best prepared for with some dramamine 

User Stats

Votes
Rhett Tullis
Property Manager
Pro Member
  • Property Manager
  • Oklahoma City, OK
Votes |
Property Manager
Pro Member
  • Property Manager
  • Oklahoma City, OK
Replied Dec 8 2022, 08:32

The interesting thing on OKC short term rentals is there was a recent report where a city official or councilman was interviewed and actually stated that they did not have the staff to police unlicensed airbnb units in the city. Basically it seems it is a bit of a free for all here in okc much like our Medical Marijuana industry has been until the last few months. This article shows a bit of the issue you see here. You may be fine for a while doing STR but be aware that some cities will start to define the rules more in the coming years I suspect. Interesting how this points out there are 700 listings on airbnb yet only 200 are permitted in the city.

https://freepressokc.com/okc-h...