• Central Oregon Coast
Votes |
Thinking about Savannah for STR or MTR.

Steve Bebek
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Central Oregon Coast
Posted Nov 23 2022, 14:57

Have a LTR in Portland Oregon we are going to 1031 in May.

My wife just visited  visited Georgia and really liked it there.

Before this visit we were thinking of buying in central Oregon (Sunriver, Bend, Sisters, Or) prices are much different in Georgia than Oregon.

Wondering if anyone had any thoughts on STR or MTRs in Savannah, Ga.

User Stats

Votes
Olivia Radziszewski
  • Realtor
  • Chicago, IL
Votes |
  • Realtor
  • Chicago, IL
Replied Nov 23 2022, 16:07

@Steve Bebek- I have heard of people running- not walking to do STR's there. I know that they have been expanding on this market for the last few years. Seems interesting! I would find an investor friendly real estate agent who can help guide you on your purchase if you do end up making the decision. They can help you find a good and popular area that you may not be aware of as you are not immersed in the market. Good luck!

User Stats

Votes
Steve Bebek
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Central Oregon Coast
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Central Oregon Coast
Replied Nov 23 2022, 16:36
Quote from @Olivia Radziszewski:

@Steve Bebek- I have heard of people running- not walking to do STR's there. I know that they have been expanding on this market for the last few years. Seems interesting! I would find an investor friendly real estate agent who can help guide you on your purchase if you do end up making the decision. They can help you find a good and popular area that you may not be aware of as you are not immersed in the market. Good luck!

BiggerPockets logo
Find, Vet and Invest in Syndications
|
BiggerPockets
PassivePockets will help you find sponsors, evaluate deals, and learn how to invest with confidence.

User Stats

Votes
Steve Bebek
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Central Oregon Coast
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Central Oregon Coast
Replied Nov 23 2022, 16:37
Quote from @Steve Bebek:

User Stats

Votes
Steve Bebek
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Central Oregon Coast
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Central Oregon Coast
Replied Nov 23 2022, 16:38
Quote from @Steve Bebek:
Quote from @Steve Bebek:

Thank you Olivia

User Stats

Votes
Joshua Austin
Pro Member
  • Realtor
  • Guyton, GA
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Realtor
  • Guyton, GA
Replied Dec 5 2022, 18:32

Steve, I am curious to hear more about your goals We have began converting a large portion of our property to MTR. We currently have 1 in Savannah and it is doing exceedingly well. Lot of travel nurses, movie studio crew members, and working professionals. I personally love it because it is hands off like the longterm rentals with twice the rent. Currently we are getting $2400 per month for a 2/2 condo furnished that we are $65k all in for plus $8500 in furnishing. These same condos are selling for $110-120k right now but only one other friend of mine is taking advantage of the MTR option in the community. We own 12 and are beginning to convert them all.

Frank Moore & Company Logo

User Stats

Votes
Steve Bebek
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Central Oregon Coast
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Central Oregon Coast
Replied Dec 5 2022, 19:16
Quote from @Joshua Austin:

Steve, I am curious to hear more about your goals We have began converting a large portion of our property to MTR. We currently have 1 in Savannah and it is doing exceedingly well. Lot of travel nurses, movie studio crew members, and working professionals. I personally love it because it is hands off like the longterm rentals with twice the rent. Currently we are getting $2400 per month for a 2/2 condo furnished that we are $65k all in for plus $8500 in furnishing. These same condos are selling for $110-120k right now but only one other friend of mine is taking advantage of the MTR option in the community. We own 12 and are beginning to convert them all.

User Stats

Votes
Steve Bebek
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Central Oregon Coast
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Central Oregon Coast
Replied Dec 5 2022, 19:17
Quote from @Steve Bebek:

User Stats

Votes
Steve Bebek
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Central Oregon Coast
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Central Oregon Coast
Replied Dec 6 2022, 09:29

Hi Joshua, thanks for the info. My wife just got back from Georgia and really liked it. We plan a trip there after the first of the year. We are actually thinking about the Tybee Island area.

I will keep you posted. 

Regards.

Steve Bebek

User Stats

Votes
Joshua Austin
Pro Member
  • Realtor
  • Guyton, GA
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Realtor
  • Guyton, GA
Replied Dec 7 2022, 19:00
Quote from @Steve Bebek:

Hi Joshua, thanks for the info. My wife just got back from Georgia and really liked it. We plan a trip there after the first of the year. We are actually thinking about the Tybee Island area.

I will keep you posted. 

Regards.

Steve Bebek

Be very cautious of Tybee right now. The city council has passed some crazy bans on STR in recent months and people are selling left and right. Lots of uncertainty and I would not venture down that path without an agent who knows that market very well.

User Stats

Votes
Jack Mawer
  • Lender
Votes |
  • Lender
Replied Dec 9 2022, 07:26

If you are serious about acquiring an investment property there and plan to utilize it as a short term rental I would recommend running the numbers on AirDNA to get a better idea of the revenue you can bring in each year - I would also do some research to see if traveling nurses are in the area if you plan to utilize the property as a midterm rental - either way, an MTR or a STR will produce more income than a LTR in most cases, best of luck!

User Stats

Votes
Steve Bebek
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Central Oregon Coast
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Central Oregon Coast
Replied Dec 9 2022, 07:58
Quote from @Jack Mawer:

If you are serious about acquiring an investment property there and plan to utilize it as a short term rental I would recommend running the numbers on AirDNA to get a better idea of the revenue you can bring in each year - I would also do some research to see if traveling nurses are in the area if you plan to utilize the property as a midterm rental - either way, an MTR or a STR will produce more income than a LTR in most cases, best of luck!

User Stats

Votes
Steve Bebek
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Central Oregon Coast
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Central Oregon Coast
Replied Dec 9 2022, 07:59
Quote from @Steve Bebek:
Quote from @Jack Mawer:

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Steve Bebek
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Central Oregon Coast
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Central Oregon Coast
Replied Dec 9 2022, 07:59
Quote from @Steve Bebek:
Quote from @Steve Bebek:
Quote from @Jack Mawer:

User Stats

Votes
Steve Bebek
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Central Oregon Coast
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Central Oregon Coast
Replied Dec 9 2022, 08:00

ThanksJack

User Stats

Votes
Robin Simon#1 Creative Real Estate Financing Contributor
  • Lender
  • Austin, TX
Votes |
Robin Simon#1 Creative Real Estate Financing Contributor
  • Lender
  • Austin, TX
Replied Dec 9 2022, 08:12

Agree - have seen people with good success in the market.  One thing to consider is a lot of the housing stock is very old (beautiful, but old) so have to be careful managing the reserves/repairs/maintenance budget if you buy something historic

User Stats

Votes
Replied Dec 12 2022, 03:56

Look up Awning Airbnb Airbnb Estimator it's a completely free estimate tool and gives you comps of nearby listings as well.

User Stats

Votes
Steve Bebek
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Central Oregon Coast
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Central Oregon Coast
Replied Dec 27 2022, 10:33
Quote from @Steve Bebek:
Quote from @Steve Bebek:
Quote from @Steve Bebek:
Quote from @Jack Mawer:

Thanks Jack.

User Stats

Votes
Julie Gates
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Savannah, GA
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Savannah, GA
Replied Jan 31 2023, 18:51

Savannah is a great market for both STR's and MTR's. I'm an agent and also property manager in Savannah. Please feel free to reach out if you have any specific questions.

User Stats

Votes
Replied Feb 1 2023, 06:19

Would love to hear more about this. 

User Stats

Votes
Steve Bebek
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Central Oregon Coast
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Central Oregon Coast
Replied Feb 1 2023, 10:12
Quote from @Julie Gates:

Savannah is a great market for both STR's and MTR's. I'm an agent and also property manager in Savannah. Please feel free to reach out if you have any specific questions.

thanks Julie

User Stats

Votes
Kenny Kuramoto
Pro Member
Votes |
Pro Member
Replied Feb 1 2023, 22:11

I second @Julie Gates Shes very responsive and has been so much help. She has a couple MTR in the market so She would be who I would reach out too. 

User Stats

Votes
Kalina C.
  • Realtor
  • Los Angeles, CA
Votes |
  • Realtor
  • Los Angeles, CA
Replied Mar 7 2023, 16:01

@Joshua Austin what area of Savannah are you invested in?

User Stats

Votes
Joshua Austin
Pro Member
  • Realtor
  • Guyton, GA
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Realtor
  • Guyton, GA
Replied Mar 7 2023, 16:08
Quote from @Kalina C.:

@Joshua Austin what area of Savannah are you invested in?

We have properties all over but these condos are on the south side near Coffee Bluff. 

*update since this post: the most recent one listed and sold for $140k a few weeks ago. We now have two fully furnished condos and will be converting 2 more by the end of the summer. 

User Stats

Votes
Brandon Greenplate
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Hilton Head Island
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Hilton Head Island
Replied Mar 17 2023, 11:13

Hey Steve - Great area for MTR and long term rentals. I am on a trial for a new tool called Vrolio that can help you identify the best investments in Savannah. If you want to mess around with it try the link below. 

https://brandongreenplate.inve...

User Stats

Votes
Mike D'Arrigo
Pro Member
  • Turn key provider
  • San Jose, CA
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Turn key provider
  • San Jose, CA
Replied Mar 17 2023, 13:33

@Steve Bebek what is the attraction to Savannah other than you and your wife visited there and like it? I don't know the market but doing just a little research I see that they get about 8 million overnight visitors a year which isn't a lot compared to other larger markets. A good STR market could be very different than a good MTR market. Define which kind of rener you are going after and then do some research on whether the market attracts that type. You're already buying out of state. Personally, I would broaden your potential market search. I'm not saying Savanah wouldn't be a good market, but as I mentioned, there are markets that get far more visitors. Kansas City for instance get nearly 25 million visitors year.

Short term rentals are typically vacation destinations or conventioneers while MTR are most typically business related such as traveling nurses and corprorate stays.