• Real Estate Broker
  • Central Coast, CA
Votes |
Airbnb in Knoxville

Dianna Vonderheide
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Central Coast, CA
Posted Mar 8 2023, 07:41

We are hoping to expand our Airbnb business into TN. I was hoping for a place in Knoxville, but I believe there’s regulations in place limiting inside city limits.  Does anyone have an expert realtor they would recommend that specializes in short term rentals?  Thanks!

User Stats

Votes
Kyle Nolen
Pro Member
  • Knoxville, TN
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Knoxville, TN
Replied Mar 8 2023, 13:41

The Short Term Shop specializes in STR. They tend to focus more in the nearby Smoky Mountains but I'm sure they could help you with your specific goals if you insist on Knoxville. They are the "OG's" of the STR game in our area and active with BP

User Stats

Votes
William Lokar
  • Realtor
  • Northeast TN and Central VA
Votes |
  • Realtor
Replied Mar 8 2023, 17:10

Depending on your goals for your STR, there are great properties with limited seasonality in the Tri-Cities of TN. Johnson City and Bristol offer goo short term returns and good long term appreciation at much lower price points.

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Arpit Guglani
  • New to Real Estate
  • knoxville
Votes |
  • New to Real Estate
  • knoxville
Replied Apr 7 2023, 12:12
Quote from @William Lokar:

Depending on your goals for your STR, there are great properties with limited seasonality in the Tri-Cities of TN. Johnson City and Bristol offer goo short term returns and good long term appreciation at much lower price points.

Thanks for sharing this! What are people looking for when they go to Johnson city or Bristol? Is it still the Smoky mountains or skiing - and are there particular areas that are good for STR? 

User Stats

Votes
William Lokar
  • Realtor
Votes |
  • Realtor
Replied Apr 7 2023, 16:00

The Tri-Cities don't have one draw. We get bookings for NASCAR, outdoors, sports tournaments, and a growing number of people traveling for work or renting mid term while trying to find a house. The diversification makes for a much less seasonal STR landscape...and the Smokies are an hour away.

User Stats

Votes
Replied May 9 2023, 22:25

@Dianna Vonderheide Did you ever figure this out? I am looking at purchasing a property in Knoxville which I would like to use as my primary residence but I plan to Airbnb it out for half the year or more as I'm a digital nomad. I can show Tennessee ID and a bill to establish residency but I'm curious how they enforce owner occupant rules given they don't have a limit around how much the owner needs to be on site.