Market Trends & Data

User Stats

Votes
Ethan Martinez
Votes |
Upcoming Indianapolis Neighborhoods

Ethan Martinez
Posted May 29 2023, 22:07

Looking to buy my first property, and I am located in Indianapolis. I am planning to buy a LTR. Nice cash flow is ideal, but my main goal is appreciation. What are some up and coming neighborhoods, and is LTR my best bet in this market? Thanks in advance for the insight!

User Stats

Votes
Jaron Walling
Pro Member
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Indianapolis, IN
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Indianapolis, IN
Replied May 30 2023, 06:17

@Ethan Martinez Welcome to BP! Indy is a great market and full of growth potential. We believe in the LTR strategy. Cash-flow opportunities can be found but it really depends on the neighborhood and even street. Indy is very street-by-street. The near eastside is coming up nicely. You could cash-flow a duplex property or SFH if purchased below market. Other areas are primed for flips. Bates Hendricks comes to mind. Not a lot of buy and hold deals (new Fountain Square). Riverside Park is starting to blast off. The park is getting revitalized and the sprawl from 16 Tech is real. I'm bias on Christian Park and Beech Grove; both are getting pricier but it's not terrible (yet). Anything on the north side is an appreciation play or flip. A lot of investors are looking farther and farther out from the city. Think Greenfield, Greenwood, Bargersville, etc. All of them are 30-40mins from downtown. Our traffic is less than other major cities (knock on wood). People commute up-to an hour for jobs in Indy regularly.

The PP is only part of the equation. Investors looking at Indy need to consider crime, price history, rent, and overall quality of the neighborhood. Some areas in Indy haven't changed for years... and it's a bad thing. Appreciation and crime don't go together. Consider the future headaches before buying cheap property. 

User Stats

Votes
Paul Stamm
  • Real Estate Consultant
  • Indiana
Votes |
  • Real Estate Consultant
  • Indiana
Replied May 30 2023, 08:16

Hi @Ethan Martinez. Congrats on looking to purchase your first deal! Indy is a great spot! If you're interested I'd like to connect you with my team to help you figure out which area is the best to invest in for your situation. 

BiggerPockets logo
Find, Vet and Invest in Syndications
|
BiggerPockets
PassivePockets will help you find sponsors, evaluate deals, and learn how to invest with confidence.

User Stats

Votes
Mark Jones
Property Manager
Pro Member
  • Property Manager
  • Indianapolis, IN
Votes |
Property Manager
Pro Member
  • Property Manager
  • Indianapolis, IN
Replied May 30 2023, 13:45

Hi Ethan!  Welcome to investing in Indy!  I have been investing here myself for over 20 years.  Echo Jaron's comments about the near east side.  Also in regards to locations with crime and appreciation.  Another area to research is the west side close to downtown.  There is a major improvement by the City of Indianapolis that will be taking place called the White River Expansion.  You will definitely have to do your home work as this are is pretty spotty, but I do think this will be an up and coming area for long term buy and hold and that is how you will get your appreciation!  i am just researching this area myself.  Best of luck!  

PMI Midwest Logo

User Stats

Votes
Mari Puga
  • Investor
  • United States
Votes |
  • Investor
  • United States
Replied May 31 2023, 13:06

Hi Ethan. Congrats on buying your first property. I DM the name of a good real estate agent in the area. She knows the markets very well and has some listing. Best of luck!

User Stats

Votes
Nick Giulioni
Pro Member
  • Carmel, IN
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Carmel, IN
Replied Jun 2 2023, 11:32

Feel free to reach out if you would like help building your team. I've been investing here for a while and would love to help!