House Hacking

User Stats

Votes
Leah G.
Pro Member
  • New to Real Estate
  • Philadelphia, PA
Votes |
Are Vacancies Common in the Philly Suburbs?

Leah G.
Pro Member
  • New to Real Estate
  • Philadelphia, PA
Posted Jul 8 2022, 07:04

Hi Everyone! I just started my real estate journey and I'm looking for advice about investing in the Philadelphia Suburbs!

My partner and I are looking to house hack a duplex for our first investment. I've been running the numbers and looking at properties in Philadelphia, specifically; Mt Airy, West Philly/University City Area, East Falls, South Philly, Chestnut Hill, Manayunk, and Roxborough. My thought process for choosing these areas is the taxes are lower, tenant's are more available, listing prices are typically more affordable (we would like to stay around 300K), and there is good potential for renovations and pulling equity in the long term.

Paying high property taxes and the demand for tenants over time is what makes me cautious of a suburban location. For those who have invested in the suburban area, have you had a hard time finding tenants? How long does it usually take for you to fill a vacant rental? And, are there any affordable suburban areas you have had success in that you would recommend? For example, I believe Drexel Hill and Lansdowne may be good areas with relatively lower taxes.

I appreciate any and all advice/tips/suggestions! Thank you!

User Stats

Votes
Austen Mueller
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Pennsylvania
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Pennsylvania
Replied Jul 8 2022, 07:53

Great questions. I love househacks. Right now finding a tenant in these areas should not be a problem given the macro environment. As a general rule those nicer areas I would calculate with a vacancy percent of 8% Drexel hill and Landsdowne have higher taxes in my opinion.

User Stats

Votes
Eric Greenberg
  • Investor
  • Philadelphia, PA
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Philadelphia, PA
Replied Jul 12 2022, 08:24

Just be cautious to look at the new 2023 taxes for properties in the city as they were all reassessed recently and some have gone up substantially. 

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Rob Lawrence
  • Real Estate Agent
  • West Chester, PA
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • West Chester, PA
Replied Jul 18 2022, 04:48

I like Manayunk a lot for rentals because its a place that attracts a lot of renters.  I have seen strong cash flow there.  Delaware county is known for its high taxes.  Drexel hill especially.  I feel like the taxes kill so many deals there.  Just make the numbers bad.

Vacancy in the burbs is really just about pricing it correctly.  There is a strong demand right now, and rents have risen a lot faster than Philly (12% vs 4%).

I think another interesting place to invest is Wilmington.  Seeing strong cash flows there, and you can get a multifamily there for a relatively low cost.  I have a client currently under contract on a triplex there.

Happy to connect and help you!