• Gurnee, IL
Votes |
Mobile Home House Hack?

Dren Aguado
Pro Member
  • New to Real Estate
  • Gurnee, IL
Posted Jul 10 2022, 22:56

What are your guys opinions on house hacking a mobile home? 

I think I could probably get a roommate to pay the monthly payment, so i can live for free. In Chicago, I feel like a mobile home is more in my budget and less risk because it's a brand new construction and turnkey. 

Would I be able to use this property to scale? will it be harder to scale my portfolio with a mobile home compared to purchasing a traditional home?

Thank you if you read this!

User Stats

Votes
Jonathan Klemm
Pro Member
  • Contractor
  • Chicago, IL
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Contractor
  • Chicago, IL
ModeratorReplied Jul 11 2022, 04:56

@Dren Aguado - Awesome idea and I think you should do it for sure.  One of the things I am working on currently is making decisions faster, this sounds like something you should move on and not look back.

Here in Chicago, I am not sure scaling mobile home houses is the right move, but regardless it will get you where you are going the fastest.  My suggestion is to use the stack method and after the mobile home get a house or 2-flat, then 4, then 8, etc.

User Stats

Votes
John Warren
  • Real Estate Broker
  • 1658 N. Milwaukee Ave Ste B PMP 18969 Chicago, IL 60647
Votes |
  • Real Estate Broker
  • 1658 N. Milwaukee Ave Ste B PMP 18969 Chicago, IL 60647
Replied Jul 11 2022, 05:17

@Dren Aguado the biggest issue with mobile homes is that they don't appreciate, but instead they depreciate and get less valuable over time. They can cash flow well though. 

Being in your area, I would focus on saving up enough for a nice 2 or 3 unit. There are pockets of Waukegan where you can find a nice duplex in a decent pocket for cheap. Maybe find a way to rent weekly to folks who come in for naval base graduations? 

• Real Estate Agent IL (#475.166619)

Forte Properties, Inc Logo
BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Chris Varsek
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Beach Park, IL
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Beach Park, IL
Replied Jul 11 2022, 06:01

One consideration is that mobile homes are not considered real estate in Il, they are personal property.  While you may get to live for free, depreciation is unlikely and holding costs are high with park fees. If you do it, I’d write in a lease to own option for your roommate so you can live free, and have an exit strategy  

The Varsek Team w/ Keller Williams Logo

User Stats

Votes
Rachel H.#2 Mobile Home Park Investing Contributor
  • San Antonio, TX
Votes |
Rachel H.#2 Mobile Home Park Investing Contributor
  • San Antonio, TX
Replied Jul 11 2022, 07:18

@Dren Aguado If the home sits in a mobile home community, you'd just have to make sure it's allowed by management. Usually, the go over the rules and regulations before residents move in. This would be a good question to ask and bring up beforehand. Hope that helps! 

User Stats

Votes
Michael K.
  • Investor
  • Chicago, IL
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Chicago, IL
Replied Jul 11 2022, 10:02
Quote from @Dren Aguado:

I think I could probably get a roommate to pay the monthly payment, so i can live for free. In Chicago, I feel like a mobile home is more in my budget and less risk because it's a brand new construction and turnkey. 

Would I be able to use this property to scale? will it be harder to scale my portfolio with a mobile home compared to purchasing a traditional home?

Not a mobile home expert or anything, but if the purchase does not include any land you are not going to see any appreciation.  Getting a loan on a mobile home can also be tricky. I would consider rent hacking first. Lower/eliminate your rent payments and save up some money. Good luck!

User Stats

Votes
Crystal Smith
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Chicago, IL
Votes |
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Chicago, IL
ModeratorReplied Jul 14 2022, 05:41
Quote from @Dren Aguado:

My opinion on scaling mobile homes using a house hacking technique is-" it depends".  Scaling usually happens when you're ability to use Other People's Money (OPM), whether a bank or private loans, increases.  That includes leveraging property you already own through refinancing.  If you intend to pay cash for all your mobile homes scaling will be tough if your cash is limited.  If you're able to find lenders or partners to support your strategy then scaling is possible.  
The Smith Group Logo