Skip to content
House Hacking

User Stats

Votes

What is House Hacking?

Posted Jul 16 2022, 17:34

I've seen a lot of posts that talk about house hacking, but I don't know what that is. Can someone help point me in the right direction about learning more about that?

User Stats

Votes
Replied Jul 16 2022, 18:01

@Ezekiel Joseph Berman living in a house with other people who also pay rent. Whether it’s renting out rooms in your home, having roommates, or a duplex where you rent the other side out. The income offsets or covers some or all of your mortgage allowing you to save money faster.

User Stats

Votes
David M.
  • Morris County, NJ
Votes |
  • Morris County, NJ
Replied Jul 16 2022, 18:19

@Ezekiel Joseph Berman

To me there are two definitions that people tend to know one or the other.  What appears to be the "classical" definition is to buy and live in a property, then moveout and either rent out the property and/or sell it for the profit tax free using sec121 exclusion.  Seemingly more common, probably because of the market conditions, is to rent out just rooms in your house.  This is far more complicated tax-wise and socially.

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Anastasia G.
  • Lender
  • NJ NY PA CT GA FL, Puerto Rico
Votes |
  • Lender
  • NJ NY PA CT GA FL, Puerto Rico
Replied Jul 17 2022, 02:25

Hello @Ezekiel Joseph Berman

Welcome! Not sure if you seen yet, there will be a bootcamp on househacking, definitely check this out: 

https://get.biggerpockets.com/...

User Stats

Votes
Caleb Brown
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Blue Springs
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Blue Springs
Replied Jul 20 2022, 08:39

Happy to chat. Based here in KC. Most people go FHA when house hacking or low % conventional. You could buy a multi family and rent out the other units, buy a home and rent out the rooms, buy a home and update then refinance or use a HELOC, or rent a home out after you lived in it for at least a year

User Stats

Votes
Eliott Elias#3 BRRRR - Buy, Rehab, Rent, Refinance, Repeat Contributor
  • Investor
  • Austin, TX
Votes |
Eliott Elias#3 BRRRR - Buy, Rehab, Rent, Refinance, Repeat Contributor
  • Investor
  • Austin, TX
Replied Jul 20 2022, 08:59

When you’re collecting enough income from your property to live for free (pay off your mortgage)