Votes
Chris Reichenbach
Pro Member
Votes |
Month-To-Month Leased Tenants - Property Management

Chris Reichenbach
Pro Member
Posted Jul 30 2022, 11:15

I just purchased my first duplex in Concord, North Carolina and plan to house hack one side and rent the other side out. One side is rented through December and the other side is on a month-to-month lease. The side I plan to live on will need renovating so the current tenant cannot stay. I was told by my agent that all I have to do is not renew the month-to-month lease and give the tenant a 30-day notice to vacate the property. Is this correct or will I have to go through an eviction or legal process to not do anything illegal? I appreciate all the help!

User Stats

Votes
Bill Brandt#3 1031 Exchanges Contributor
  • Investor
  • Las Vegas, NV
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Las Vegas, NV
Replied Jul 30 2022, 13:16

It all depends on the state. Some places are 30 others are 45 and still others are 60 days+. (I’m sue by now some can’t be kicked out except “for cause”. 

If you plan to self manage find a class, read some state specific books, study fair housing laws. One screw up is going to cost you more than paying for a property manager. Usually you can google state name landlord laws or handbook and find the biggies. Do you need to keep the security deposit in a separate account, can you discriminate by income source, notice length for rent increases, lease changes etc. 

User Stats

Votes
Adam Schneider
Pro Member
  • Lender
  • Raleigh, NC
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Lender
  • Raleigh, NC
Replied Jul 31 2022, 05:33

@Chris Reichenbach Go to NC GS-42 (North Carolina General Statutes). It will tell you what you need to know about tenant notifications based on lease agreements.

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Drew Sygit#2 Managing Your Property Contributor
  • Property Manager
  • Royal Oak, MI
Votes |
Drew Sygit#2 Managing Your Property Contributor
  • Property Manager
  • Royal Oak, MI
Replied Aug 1 2022, 04:22

@Chris Reichenbach just because you send someone a 30-day notice, doesn't mean they will vacate.

So, you may need to evict.

User Stats

Votes
Matt Ziegler
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Colorado Springs, CO
Votes |
  • Colorado Springs, CO
Replied Aug 1 2022, 18:59

@Chris Reichenbach as@Bill Brandt mentioned, educate yourself and treat this l

User Stats

Votes
Matt Ziegler
  • Colorado Springs, CO
Votes |
  • Colorado Springs, CO
Replied Aug 1 2022, 19:04

Sorry, hit the “post” button too early Like the business it is. Being well versed in the local regulations, and having a team of competent folks to assist you will make the journey easier. All it takes is one blunder to change the course of the landlording adventure. Search out and follow good, experienced counsel!

Best of luck,

Cheers

User Stats

Votes
Rick Albert#3 House Hacking Contributor
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Los Angeles, CA
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Los Angeles, CA
Replied Aug 2 2022, 15:49

Did your agent give you the process of evicting the tenant? The agent should not had made a claim like that without some guidance. 

Every law is different and every tenant is different. Does the tenant know of your intentions while in escrow or are you springing it up on them? It could be fine or could be ugly.

I would study the laws and even consider paying an attorney for a consultation. Evictions can be costly and time consuming. Most people in these forums are not attorneys so we can't really provide guidance.