Skip to content
House Hacking

User Stats

Votes
Maggie Blackburn
  • New to Real Estate
  • Brooklyn, NY
Votes |
House Hacking in Brooklyn, NY—is it worth it?

Maggie Blackburn
  • New to Real Estate
  • Brooklyn, NY
Posted Aug 13 2022, 09:24

Hi all, I'm looking to house hack in Brooklyn, NY and looking for 2 bedroom condos to rent out the 2nd room. Looking at Bed Stuy / Crown Heights primarily as I can get a 3.75% interest rate from First Republic as it's my first time home. I plan to live in the home for at least 2 years to get the tax benefits but possibly longer, then possibly do a cash out refinance to invest in another property.

Scenario 1: Current Rent

- $3000/month 

Scenario 2: House Hack and rent out spare bedroom

- If I rent out a 2nd bedroom, I'd still likely pay around $2600-3200/month on mortgage, taxes, HOA, CapEx & Maintenance (est. 8-10% depending on age of bldg)

- The properties likely would break even around Year 5 or 6, so I may lose money each month if If I decide to move out before Year 5 or 6

All of the advice I've read on house hacking was it's a good strategy to use if you can reduce your living expenses but a lot of the homes in Brooklyn mean I'd be paying about the same or more on rent each month. I have a stable W2 income so can afford to lose some $$ when I move out, but I also don't know if this is a good financial decision if my longer term goal is financial freedom.

What factors should I consider when investing in a more expensive market? Do you think house hacking still a good idea to try and get tax benefits, potential appreciation, loan pay down, etc? 

User Stats

Votes
Eric Hajdu
  • Investor
  • Brooklyn NY
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Brooklyn NY
Replied Aug 14 2022, 12:56

@Maggie Blackburn

Your very smart to be attempting this at a young age, I would suggest considering a modest 3 family in lieu of a condo. I have owned several Brooklyn condos over the years and they are generally not very accommodating to the idea of owners renting out a part of their space. Also, you can’t control the monthly cost as much as you would think, there are always assessments, mait. increases, rapid property tax hikes, etc.

What is beneficial about the multi fam is you can practically do whatever you want and you can adjust how much of the space you keep for yourself as your needs change. At some point, maybe you start a family, and make a duplex, etc.

The best part is you have the option of turning the property into condos at some point down the road, which is where the real payoff happens. With rents being so elevated, I actually see many properties in bed stuy, bushwick, and other fringe areas where the numbers work really well.

Best of luck!

User Stats

Votes
Maggie Blackburn
  • New to Real Estate
  • Brooklyn, NY
Votes |
  • New to Real Estate
  • Brooklyn, NY
Replied Aug 14 2022, 15:12

@Eric Hajdu Thank you for the advice! Ideally I would invest in a multi-family, but looking at prices in the area, I'm not sure I have enough $$. I've been looking at 2 bed condos $900K with 20% down. Looks like multi-family in bed stuy is 1.6M+. I'm willing to invest $200K. Do sellers typically like to see at least 10% down in the Brooklyn area for multi-family? If so, multi-family could work, but I likely won't have enough if 20% down is needed.

If multi-family isn't an option, does the 2 bed condo still seem like a good route to get started in real estate? 

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Nicholas L.
Pro Member
  • Flipper/Rehabber
  • Pittsburgh
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Flipper/Rehabber
  • Pittsburgh
Replied Aug 14 2022, 15:13

@Maggie Blackburn 

I don't know the Brooklyn market, but I like how you're thinking about this.

What do the numbers look like once you move out and rent the whole property, say in year 2 as you mentioned?  And do you plan to stay in the general NYC area?

User Stats

Votes
Eric Hajdu
  • Investor
  • Brooklyn NY
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Brooklyn NY
Replied Aug 15 2022, 06:25

Maggie, I think a 2 bed condo is a great way to get started in NYC real estate, I just don't think it's a realistic tool for house hacking.  In regards to your budget, you could certainly find a multi fam in many BK areas for around $1mil, they won't be as developed as the neighborhoods you mentioned, but certainly have upside.

One final thought, if you do go the condo route, I would choose a more established area such as Ft. greene, Downtown Brooklyn, Park Slope, etc.  where you could find a tiny 2 bed for just slightly above your budget, but you would be able to get rent about 50% higher than the areas you mentioned.  Feel free to message me if you want any more specific info.  

User Stats

Votes
Maggie Blackburn
  • New to Real Estate
  • Brooklyn, NY
Votes |
  • New to Real Estate
  • Brooklyn, NY
Replied Aug 15 2022, 07:01

@Nicholas L. Moving out after Year 3 would look like a loss of about $1200 - $2500 per year (-.5% to -1% Cash on Cash Return). I plan to stay in NYC indefinitely but it's hard to predict when or if I'll want to move out of the NY area. I think I'll likely stay at least 5 years but could also be the place I settle down too. Hard to say for certain.

@Eric Hajdu Since I'll be living at the property, I was looking for areas that I'd be willing to live in so the multi-fam in other areas of BK may be too far out. I was also looking in Bed Stuy / Crown Heights due to the fact I could get an Eagle Loan from First Republic who offers a really competitive rate (3.75% and $4000 toward closing costs). Ideally Bed Stuy would be the area closer to Clinton Hill and Crown Heights the area closer to Prospect Park so slightly higher rents than other parts of the neighborhood. I'll message you about the tiny 2 bed condo route. Have some follow up questions!

User Stats

Votes
Jason Lee
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Agent
  • New York, NY
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Agent
  • New York, NY
Replied Aug 15 2022, 15:44

I have many condo investor clients in NYC. About half of them used to owner occupy and then either traded up or moved out of state and became landlords, the other half buy all-cash or 1031 from higher maintenance properties. If you’re going to be negative cash flow if you move out in a few years then I don’t think it makes sense. I’d be looking for something where you can force some appreciation and cash flow by converting an alcove or den to carve out another “bedroom.” If you can get a third tenant in there somehow it will rent for a pretty big premium over just two and then maybe the numbers will start to make more sense.

User Stats

Votes
Replied Aug 15 2022, 16:27

Boring stuff but :

- ask around if your network or friends or friends would rent your hypothetical condo. Maybe even have post a ad with photos and location and be upfront “this is not a real listing but research. Your feedback is very much appreciated”. Maybe send it to landlords you know and get their take if the market would rent

- what is your staying power?  2-8months if you can get it rented out?

now if your network can’t get this place rented or you have feedback that it’s weak or lack of feedback…well there’s your data set. Why do this?  It’s $100k of your money that’s why. Is it worth it to do scenarios ?  If it’s not worth it, don’t invest.  

User Stats

Votes
Kimothy Bynum
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Detroit
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Detroit
Replied Aug 15 2022, 17:51

If the numbers work after you move out of the condo and you cash flow from it then I would do it. Some properties just are not gonna cash flow at the prices they are and the average rent they would go for.

User Stats

Votes
Ecaterina Katerina Morosan
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Miami, FL
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Miami, FL
Replied Aug 16 2022, 11:20

Hi @Maggie Blackburn! House hacking is still a great idea for first-time investors. We've worked with multiple BP investors who bought their first investments in Brooklyn and rented out rooms and were able to break even or cash flow from day one. Happy to discuss different options

User Stats

Votes
Maggie Blackburn
  • New to Real Estate
  • Brooklyn, NY
Votes |
  • New to Real Estate
  • Brooklyn, NY
Replied Aug 17 2022, 07:12

@Jason Lee Makes sense! This is my plan too (trading up or renting out or 1031 exchange later down the road). I've been also trying to look for opportunities to convert bedrooms, although most look like that will mean no living room or very llimited light in the living space. I'll keep searching and thank you for the advice!

User Stats

Votes
Dor Sagi
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Brooklyn, NY
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Brooklyn, NY
Replied Aug 17 2022, 19:00

Hey @Maggie Blackburn! My husband and I are having the same debate. I feel like we have a lot to talk about! I will DM you now :)