Skip to content
House Hacking

User Stats

Votes
Shivani Kumar
Votes |
Would a bank approve a loan for this circumstance?

Shivani Kumar
Posted Aug 13 2022, 13:10

If i were to move to another state and try to purchase a duplex that i would use as a primary residence, would a bank approve even if i only have the down payment and 6 months cash reserves? No job in place yet. 

User Stats

Votes
Sergey A. Petrov
  • Real Estate Consultant
  • Seattle, WA
Votes |
  • Real Estate Consultant
  • Seattle, WA
Replied Aug 13 2022, 13:47

Try checking with a bank/lender. Getting preapproved is step 1 

User Stats

Votes
Lorenzo Prieto
  • Lender
Votes |

Although you have down payment and reserves conventional lenders will need to see the ability to repay the loan. Most times we can move forward with a preapproval letter if you have at least a job offer letter and will have one set of paystubs before closing date. Will you be finding a job in the same line of work? Feel free to reach out directly if you have specific questions.

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Christian Ehlers
  • Real Estate Agent
  • NH & MA
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • NH & MA
Replied Aug 15 2022, 07:30

I'd agree with @Lorenzo Prieto here. If you can get an offer letter showing how much you will be making once you move that is usually enough to get you moving forward, but to only have a down payment I don't know of any conventional lenders that would be able to get a loan approved that way. 

Christian Ehlers Realtor Logo

User Stats

Votes
Katherine Serrell
  • Investor
  • Raleigh
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Raleigh
Replied Aug 15 2022, 10:51

Hi Shivani! I have househacked without having a job before and got my loan to go through underwriting just fine. Happy to connect and share what worked for me

User Stats

Votes
Shivani Kumar
Votes |
Replied Aug 15 2022, 16:38
Quote from @Lorenzo Prieto:

Although you have down payment and reserves conventional lenders will need to see the ability to repay the loan. Most times we can move forward with a preapproval letter if you have at least a job offer letter and will have one set of paystubs before closing date. Will you be finding a job in the same line of work? Feel free to reach out directly if you have specific questions.

This was super helpful! I will actually be able to stay in the same line of work and definitely would because it helps with approval.  

User Stats

Votes
Shivani Kumar
Votes |
Replied Aug 15 2022, 16:40
Quote from @Katherine Serrell:

Hi Shivani! I have househacked without having a job before and got my loan to go through underwriting just fine. Happy to connect and share what worked for me

I would love to connect and learn more!

User Stats

Votes
Kimothy Bynum
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Detroit
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Detroit
Replied Aug 15 2022, 17:47

If you could possibly show a offer letter or something then I would think so.