• Rental Property Investor
  • Raleigh, NC
Votes |
Rent By Room House Hack in NC

Ty Suggs
  • Raleigh, NC
Posted Aug 22 2022, 17:48

Hello BiggerPockets Family! I'm looking to get my third deal using my VA loan and was highly considering the "Rent by room" strategy. Todd Baldwin and a close friend had a big influence on my decision. I was just curious if anyone in eastern North Carolina had any experience with this method?!

User Stats

Votes
Katherine Serrell
  • Investor
  • Raleigh
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Raleigh
Replied Aug 31 2022, 11:21

Hi Ty - I am out of Raleigh and I am househacking this way. It has been an immense success. If you are looking out of Greenville you might consider Airbnb'ing the rooms instead (either short-term or mid-term) of renting by the room long-term. You would be in a good position to cater to travel nurses and students who just need a few months out of the year and are willing to pay much higher rents (in my experience.. nearly double) versus traditional long-term tenants in this scenario would. 

User Stats

Votes
Ty Suggs
  • Raleigh, NC
Votes |
  • Raleigh, NC
Replied Aug 31 2022, 11:30
Quote from @Katherine Serrell:

Hi Ty - I am out of Raleigh and I am househacking this way. It has been an immense success. If you are looking out of Greenville you might consider Airbnb'ing the rooms instead (either short-term or mid-term) of renting by the room long-term. You would be in a good position to cater to travel nurses and students who just need a few months out of the year and are willing to pay much higher rents (in my experience.. nearly double) versus traditional long-term tenants in this scenario would. 

Hey Katherine, I'm currently working in Raleigh and was looking at the Clayton and Greenville market. Thank you for your help!

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Pat Lulewicz
  • Realtor
  • Raleigh NC and Greensboro, NC
Votes |
  • Realtor
  • Raleigh NC and Greensboro, NC
Replied Sep 1 2022, 07:16

Incredible opportunity around Raleigh. So many rentals are unaffordable. Studios are in the $800s and 1 BRs are over $1,000 in most cases. Best to find a property that has 1 bathroom/resident to minimize the headache and arguments. Alternatively, build in the cost of a cleaner coming to handle common area when running your numbers...helps the arguments over hair on the bathroom vanity + great marketing of amenities you offer (and makes your home clean for you if/while you're living in it on the tenants' dime).

Just be conscious of the tenant base/mix, especially if you're living there. A night nurse might seem like a great idea since they'll be at work a lot and less stress on the property but if they sleep during the day and you have a conference call you need to talk on or have a pet, this can cause rifts in the relationship and viability of the tenant quickly.

Otherwise, just make sure to do full background/credit checks and leases on the front-end, be a friend/roommate whenever you can, and a landlord ONLY WHEN NEEDED.

User Stats

Votes
Ty Suggs
  • Raleigh, NC
Votes |
  • Raleigh, NC
Replied Sep 1 2022, 07:18
Quote from @Pat Lulewicz:

Incredible opportunity around Raleigh. So many rentals are unaffordable. Studios are in the $800s and 1 BRs are over $1,000 in most cases. Best to find a property that has 1 bathroom/resident to minimize the headache and arguments. Alternatively, build in the cost of a cleaner coming to handle common area when running your numbers...helps the arguments over hair on the bathroom vanity + great marketing of amenities you offer (and makes your home clean for you if/while you're living in it on the tenants' dime).

Just be conscious of the tenant base/mix, especially if you're living there. A night nurse might seem like a great idea since they'll be at work a lot and less stress on the property but if they sleep during the day and you have a conference call you need to talk on or have a pet, this can cause rifts in the relationship and viability of the tenant quickly.

Otherwise, just make sure to do full background/credit checks and leases on the front-end, be a friend/roommate whenever you can, and a landlord ONLY WHEN NEEDED.

Thanks Pat!