User Stats

Votes
Josh Romo
Votes |
Wife doesn't want a second house hack

Josh Romo
Posted Sep 5 2022, 16:48

Hey BP fam,

We have been house hacking for a year now everything has gone great it is my wife and I +3 daughters. As the market corrects i was saving up to grab another house to hack. 

Unfortunately my wife is not on the same page as me. She would lime a SFH just for us and the kids. Once we leave the current house it will cash flow $1800.

has anyone else been in the same situation? I fear that once i get the next property our investing into RE stops there until she finishes school in 4 more years 😭.

Our rents have so far covered mortage+HOA and solar bills and zero cash flow. One lender has said they will count 75% of rental income towards pur DTI is that average or are there better lenders out there?

User Stats

Votes
Sergey A. Petrov
  • Real Estate Consultant
  • Seattle, WA
Votes |
  • Real Estate Consultant
  • Seattle, WA
Replied Sep 5 2022, 16:52

Personal and business lives do not always mix. Your wife wants a home for you guys and the kids. You are more focused on real estate investing. There is a balance somewhere but I can tell you that a happy household is worth more than the next household! And, no, your investing career is not over, you’ll just need to pivot a bit.

User Stats

Votes
Josh Romo
Votes |
Replied Sep 5 2022, 17:14
Quote from @Sergey A. Petrov:

Personal and business lives do not always mix. Your wife wants a home for you guys and the kids. You are more focused on real estate investing. There is a balance somewhere but I can tell you that a happy household is worth more than the next household! And, no, your investing career is not over, you’ll just need to pivot a bit.

Looks like I just need to change my mindset and try to slow down youngest kids are 5 and I wanted to get as many homes as possible before they are 9 and get close to friends. I'm not sure where my pivot will be.

putting down 5% is better than 20% in our current situation. Guess I'll just keep stacking cash and try to get our next home at 5% then a investment property at 20%

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Replied Sep 5 2022, 18:46

Is there a way to comprise with your wife?One strategy I've heard of is purchasing a SF with an ADU or in-law suite, or perhaps a basement with a private entry, and renting that out. That might allow more privacy and maybe she would be more on board with that?

Also, congrats on the successful HH! I’m currently getting ready to do my first.

User Stats

Votes
Josh Romo
Votes |
Replied Sep 5 2022, 18:49
Quote from @Aanu Jibodu:

Is there a way to comprise with your wife?One strategy I've heard of is purchasing a SF with an ADU or in-law suite, or perhaps a basement with a private entry, and renting that out. That might allow more privacy and maybe she would be more on board with that?

Also, congrats on the successful HH! I’m currently getting ready to do my first.

We will need to talk about a compromise definitely difficult when a significant other is not in the same page 😕 

We are in CA so plenty of ADUs and in-laws I will look into those. 

I look forward to seeing how you enjoy house hacking in the near future.

User Stats

Votes
David M.
  • Morris County, NJ
Votes |
  • Morris County, NJ
Replied Sep 5 2022, 19:04

@Josh Romo

Sorry, I'm not getting into marriage counseling  :(

Yes, 75% of the rent, not profit, is pretty standard when trying to qualify for a loan.

Pretty much, you need to just bank on getting more cash.  That's why this is investing, and not a job.

I had one couple "break up" with each other to buy the next home...  Not so sure how that looks..

Good luck.

User Stats

Votes
Sergey A. Petrov
  • Real Estate Consultant
  • Seattle, WA
Votes |
  • Real Estate Consultant
  • Seattle, WA
Replied Sep 5 2022, 19:57

@Josh Romo - buy a second home or a cabin that your family will enjoy spending time at for vacations and rent it out the rest of the time. You can do a lower downpayment on those and everybody is happy!

User Stats

Votes
JD Martin
  • Rock Star Extraordinaire
  • Northeast, TN
Votes |
  • Rock Star Extraordinaire
  • Northeast, TN
ModeratorReplied Sep 5 2022, 20:04
Quote from @Sergey A. Petrov:

@Josh Romo - buy a second home or a cabin that your family will enjoy spending time at for vacations and rent it out the rest of the time. You can do a lower downpayment on those and everybody is happy!

This could be a decent compromise. You don't live there full time but use it as a STR and take a few vacation weekends there to work on it.

Kids are resilient but moving them around constantly to do home repair boot camp sucks for them so I get your wife's point of view. 

Another compromise is to buy a duplex/ triplex/ quadplex and live in one unit while rehabbing the others. Or buy two houses on lots side by side. There's ways of finding something you can rehab " on site" without having to live in a construction zone.

User Stats

Votes
Theresa Harris
Pro Member
#3 Managing Your Property Contributor
Votes |
Pro Member
#3 Managing Your Property Contributor
Replied Sep 5 2022, 20:35

Find a place with no HOAs, see if you can get a separate legal suite or what about a duplex?  She probably wants her own space which is fair enough with 3 kids.

If not, buy a place with 5% down and live there for a year or two, then turn it into a rental and repeat the process with the next house.

User Stats

Votes
Mike Hern
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Scottsdale Austin Tuktoyaktuk
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
Replied Sep 6 2022, 00:58
Quote from @Josh Romo:

Hey BP fam,

We have been house hacking for a year now everything has gone great it is my wife and I +3 daughters. As the market corrects i was saving up to grab another house to hack. 

Unfortunately my wife is not on the same page as me. She would lime a SFH just for us and the kids. Once we leave the current house it will cash flow $1800.

has anyone else been in the same situation? I fear that once i get the next property our investing into RE stops there until she finishes school in 4 more years 😭.

Our rents have so far covered mortage+HOA and solar bills and zero cash flow. One lender has said they will count 75% of rental income towards pur DTI is that average or are there better lenders out there?

Your wife has 3 kids at home and she is in school for 4 more years? And you want to force her into another house hack?

Stop for a moment and think about what you just said.

Did you know that the greatest destroyer of all the weath you want to create is divorce? From the outside looking in, and having been around the block, a lot, that is where you are headed if you don't listen to your wife's needs.

User Stats

Votes
Replied Sep 6 2022, 06:00
Quote from @Mike Hern:
Quote from @Josh Romo:

Hey BP fam,

Your wife has 3 kids at home and she is in school for 4 more years? And you want to force her into another house hack?

Did you know that the greatest destroyer of all the weath you want to create is divorce? From the outside looking in, and having been around the block, a lot, that is where you are headed if you don't listen to your wife's needs.

I will listen to your wife if I were you and will NOT share the story in BP, it's way jus too personal and easy to resolve.

User Stats

Votes
Josh Romo
Votes |
Replied Sep 6 2022, 06:19
Quote from @Mike Hern:
Quote from @Josh Romo:

Hey BP fam,

I'm at home with the kids and own my own business and work from home to support us and have been for years now.

Divorce is not a option we have been together for a long time

User Stats

Votes
Steve Vaughan#1 Personal Finance Contributor
  • Rental Property Investor
  • East Wenatchee, WA
Votes |
Steve Vaughan#1 Personal Finance Contributor
  • East Wenatchee, WA
Replied Sep 6 2022, 06:29

We've raised our kids in a househack over the last 15 years. 

There are 'luxury' househack options like MIL, ADUs,  carriage houses, casitas, 2 houses, etc as mentioned. 

I get where she is coming from with plexville househacking.  Keep an eye out for luxury options, go see them and run numbers vs lifestyle case by case instead of just discussing it👍

User Stats

Votes
Mike Hern
Pro Member
  • Investor
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
Replied Sep 6 2022, 08:56
Quote from @Josh Romo:
Quote from @Mike Hern:
Quote from @Josh Romo:

Hey BP fam,

I'm at home with the kids and own my own business and work from home to support us and have been for years now.

Divorce is not a option we have been together for a long time

I'm not sure what a "long" time is to you, but we've been married 42 years and I respect my wife enough to know that when she says "enough", that is what she means. That doesn't mean she won't want to house hack again, she is saying she doesn't have the energy for it "right now".

User Stats

Votes
Rick Albert#3 House Hacking Contributor
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Los Angeles, CA
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Los Angeles, CA
Replied Sep 6 2022, 11:03

For me and my wife, we are in a similar situation.

We discuss our long term goals and create a plan that we both can stand behind. If she doesn't want to house hack again, then what is another solution that you both can come together on to build wealth. Maybe if she sees the numbers, it will make more sense and she might be inclined to do the second house hack.

I think the underlying issue (generally speaking), is at some point people don't want to have to keep sacrificing to make things work. Set a timeline and stick to a plan and commit. 

User Stats

Votes
James Dainard
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Bellevue, WA
Votes |
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Bellevue, WA
Replied Sep 6 2022, 12:27

Hey Josh,

We see this a lot in the industry don't worry.

The ideal situation would be to find a small multifamily property that you can get on an owner-occupied loan. Ideally a duplex on a 3.5% down FHA.

Here in the PNW we see a lot of split-level homes that get converted into two units by adding a kitchen downstairs though I'm not sure that'd be enough space for you and your family.

The ADU/DADU is a great place to look as well. There should be some options/layouts that suite your wifes needs.

Best of luck man!

User Stats

Votes
Bruce Woodruff
Pro Member
#3 All Forums Contributor
  • Contractor/Investor/Consultant
  • West Valley Phoenix
Votes |
Pro Member
#3 All Forums Contributor
  • Contractor/Investor/Consultant
  • West Valley Phoenix
Replied Sep 6 2022, 12:31

@Josh Romo A house hack for a short time is ok. Once. If you planned on doing this over and over, you should have taken on a business partner and not a wife.

She is 100% right and you owe it to her to give her and the kids a 'normal' family life.

There are so many other options......just go find one. ADU, STR, Buy another SFH and rent. Lots of options that don't cause a negative impact on your family.

User Stats

Votes
Sam Yin
Pro Member
  • Los Angeles, CA
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Los Angeles, CA
Replied Sep 6 2022, 12:57

@Bruce Woodruff

Took the words right out of my mouth. A wife and a business partner are two different things.

"A long time" is subjective. People break up at 1 yr, 5 yr, even after 50 yrs. I bought a LAZY Daze RV for a cheap from a guy that divorced after 55 yrs and did not want any memory of his wife and the RV. He had a business from home and raised the kids. Looked like there was just too much business happening at home and not enough family business.

Josh, some get lucky and find a like minded individual that can share the sacrifice. When there are kids in the mix, it becomes more difficult. The next question to ask yourself is where do you draw the line and what kind of house hold or childhood do you want the kids to grow up in. Kids do not have any say really ... but BOTH partners must agree.

This is not to say it could not work. I think most people here are just cautioning you on the work life balance. I'm not married too long, just about 20 yrs plus 3 kids, but I dare not to tread on that issue. It's not worth it.

User Stats

Votes
Chris Seveney
Pro Member
#1 All Forums Contributor
  • Investor
  • Virginia
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Virginia
Replied Sep 6 2022, 13:06

@Josh Romo

If you learn anything, happy wife = happy life.

User Stats

Votes
Ramandeep Sidhu
  • San Jose, CA
Votes |
  • San Jose, CA
Replied Sep 6 2022, 13:09

My wife and I are having a similar situation.  We have been house hacking and it has been great, but now we are on to the next chapter and the debate is... stay house hacking and buy another investment property or buy a personal home and enjoy the privacy.

We still have not finalized a decision, but we are currently charting out the pro's and con's.  We are also discussing delayed gratification and the extra funds to do "Fun Things" (travel, openly shop, etc).

I recommend breaking down the benefits and the negatives, while also laying out what the next 5, 10 and 15 years will look like if you go one route over the other.

User Stats

Votes
Sabino Castelluccio
Pro Member
Votes |
Pro Member
Replied Sep 6 2022, 15:31

@Josh Romo

Selling to your wife can be the hardest sales job! Lol

Very understandable on both sides but rather than a second house hack maybe it needs to be marketed to her differently. The second house hack brings x income to eventually get x SFH. Maybe that approach would help

User Stats

Votes
Alex Craig
  • Real Estate Professional
  • Memphis, TN
Votes |
  • Real Estate Professional
  • Memphis, TN
Replied Sep 6 2022, 16:01

Happy wife = happy life!

User Stats

Votes
Joy DeLiddo
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Modesto, CA
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Modesto, CA
Replied Nov 28 2022, 13:44

Have you considered looking for a SFH that has an ADU on the property? Some creative fencing/Landscaping can allow for you to house hack without feeling like you are sharing the personal space giving you the privacy you maybe looking for while raising young children.

I am currently living in a SFH and have added fencing an additional entrance/parking through my ally for private access. I created a "house hack" with a tenant I have never actually seen in person and the experience has been great! I ended up with more of an MTR strategy than a house hack but I think it works.

User Stats

Votes
Sarita Scherpereel
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Chicago, IL
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Chicago, IL
Replied Nov 28 2022, 16:43

@Josh Romo Getting a SFH won't be the end of your investing. Especially, if you can purchase something that needs updating and has high ARV. You could make this worth the investment and uses this purchase to get a HELOC.

Sarita Sells Logo

User Stats

Votes
Eliott Elias#3 BRRRR - Buy, Rehab, Rent, Refinance, Repeat Contributor
  • Investor
  • Austin, TX
Votes |
Eliott Elias#3 BRRRR - Buy, Rehab, Rent, Refinance, Repeat Contributor
  • Investor
  • Austin, TX
Replied Nov 28 2022, 20:30

Bring her on board, sounds like y'all are young. Get her to see the future family situation after you guys are financially free 

User Stats

Votes
Chris Seveney
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Virginia
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Virginia
Replied Nov 29 2022, 04:10

@Josh Romo

Dude if your wife isn’t on board then it’s a no go.

That’s not a battle you want to fight. Investing needs to be mutually agreed upon.