Michael LaBaie
Pro Member
Votes |
Duplex rental and Email Box

Michael LaBaie
Pro Member
Posted Sep 11 2022, 21:13

Hi all,

I was thinking of buying a 1 story house and adding one story tp make a Duplex.

My question is, how am I going to do with the mail box. Are both the tenants from both units will share the same mail box?

Does nayone have an idea how I can hanlde this?

Mike

User Stats

Votes
Nathan Gesner
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Cody, WY
Votes |
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Cody, WY
ModeratorReplied Sep 12 2022, 05:30
Quote from @Michael LaBaie:

I assume you have approval through planning and zoning? If so, they will assign an address to the new unit and provide you with a letter that can be given to the post office.

• Property Manager Wyoming (#12599)

American West Realty & Management Logo

User Stats

Votes
Rick Albert#3 House Hacking Contributor
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Los Angeles, CA
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Los Angeles, CA
Replied Sep 12 2022, 11:54

@Nathan Gesner is correct, if you are doing everything above board, then having a second mail box is no big deal. Just have the mailboxes near each other.

If you aren't some people have done a "123 Main Street Unit A" and "123 Main Street Unit B" type of scenario. Make sure it is properly labeled and go from there. Sometimes the post office has a problem with it so you just need to be aware of what's allowed in your market.

BiggerPockets logo
Find, Vet and Invest in Syndications
|
BiggerPockets
PassivePockets will help you find sponsors, evaluate deals, and learn how to invest with confidence.

User Stats

Votes
Michael LaBaie
Pro Member
Votes |
Pro Member
Replied Sep 12 2022, 12:41
Quote from @Nathan Gesner:
Quote from @Michael LaBaie:

I assume you have approval through planning and zoning? If so, they will assign an address to the new unit and provide you with a letter that can be given to the post office. 

Hi Nathan G,

I don't have the approval yet.

Thank you for the quick reply, it really help. 
I appreciate it.

User Stats

Votes
Michael LaBaie
Pro Member
Votes |
Pro Member
Replied Sep 12 2022, 12:42
Quote from @Rick Albert:

@Nathan Gesner is correct, if you are doing everything above board, then having a second mail box is no big deal. Just have the mailboxes near each other.

If you aren't some people have done a "123 Main Street Unit A" and "123 Main Street Unit B" type of scenario. Make sure it is properly labeled and go from there. Sometimes the post office has a problem with it so you just need to be aware of what's allowed in your market.

Thanks @Rick Albert.

This clarification was very helpful.

User Stats

Votes
Nicholas Coulter
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Southern California
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Southern California
Replied Sep 14 2022, 21:05

@Michael LaBaie Your city planning department will likely shut you done without a permit on a project like this! If thats the case then get a permit and you will get the address straightened out with them!

User Stats

Votes
Michael LaBaie
Pro Member
Votes |
Pro Member
Replied Sep 15 2022, 05:28
Quote from @Nicholas Coulter:

@Michael LaBaie Your city planning department will likely shut you done without a permit on a project like this! If thats the case then get a permit and you will get the address straightened out with them!

Noted. I actually had the intention to get the permit. However, I had no idea about the address. Now  I do.  Thanks for the tip.