Skip to content
House Hacking

User Stats

Votes
Benjamin Freed
  • New to Real Estate
  • Augusta, Ga
Votes |
House Hacking SFR Not Legal in My County?

Benjamin Freed
  • New to Real Estate
  • Augusta, Ga
Posted Jan 24 2023, 15:24

I recently asked the AICP (zoning officer) for Bartow County (north of Atlanta, Ga) about the process of renting out rooms in a single family home for house hacking and what I would need to do. This was his response: 

I planned on house hacking with a 4+ bedroom SFR near Cartersville, Ga, but it does not look like it is legal in the county. Has anyone else come across this problem or has an idea as to how I could make it work? Also, is house hacking a SFR with the rent by the room strategy legal in any county near Atlanta, Ga? Any information would be greatly appreciated, Thanks!

User Stats

Votes
Allan Smith
  • Developer
  • Nashville, TN
Votes |
  • Developer
  • Nashville, TN
Replied Jan 24 2023, 15:32

Rent it out by the month instead.  Or on 12 month leases.

User Stats

Votes
Benjamin Freed
  • New to Real Estate
  • Augusta, Ga
Votes |
  • New to Real Estate
  • Augusta, Ga
Replied Jan 24 2023, 17:42

@Allan Smith Thanks for the reply and that's what I was planning on doing but his response made it seem like this was not legal and therefore not possible. 

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Lawrence Potts
  • Real Estate Agent
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
Replied Jan 24 2023, 20:20

I think the individual that responded in that picture you sent misunderstood what you were asking…they were referring to short term rentals. No where does it say you couldn't rent the rooms out for long term tenants. All of the rules they stated were in regards to getting a short term rental permit. So I think you are fine to proceed. I think the only places you couldn't do a house hack rent by the bedroom for long term is in an HOA that has rules for renting. I think you're good to go!

User Stats

Votes
Ryan Lesley
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Fort Collins, CO
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Fort Collins, CO
Replied Jan 24 2023, 20:27

Hey @Benjamin Freed

yea so like others have stated, those rules apply if you're trying to rent less than 30 days, so anything over that is not considered a short term rental. 

also, depending on your location, mid term rentals are a really great cash flow opportunity. My favorite sources that I know of is the much talked about Travel Nurses, and less talked about contracts (insurance, temporary housing)

The BEST Mid Term Rental Strategy You Probably Aren't Using | Corporate Rentals

Hope that helps, and best of luck 🤝🍀

User Stats

Votes
Michael Dumler
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Atlanta, GA
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Atlanta, GA
Replied Jan 25 2023, 06:34

@Benjamin Freed, the zoning officer doesn't mention anything about long-term tenants. He only seems to be referring to STR ordinances. If you're house hacking with long-term roommates you'll be fine. Some counties limit the number of non-related occupants to 3 so maybe you can check on this ordinance specifically. As noted above, I would stay away from HOA communities, they would be the ones to crack down on your house hack much more rigorously than the county.

User Stats

Votes
Benjamin Freed
  • New to Real Estate
  • Augusta, Ga
Votes |
  • New to Real Estate
  • Augusta, Ga
Replied Jan 25 2023, 07:04

Thanks for the informative responses @Lawrence Potts, @Ryan Lesley, and @Michael Dumler. That's great news to hear I should still be able to do Mid-term/Long-term rentals with a SFR in this area!

User Stats

Votes
Ryan Thomson#1 House Hacking Contributor
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Colorado Springs, CO
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Colorado Springs, CO
Replied Jan 25 2023, 07:55

@Benjamin Carver I agree. He seems to have misunderstood you. I would ask him this "How many unrelated people can live in a Single Family Residence in {insert area}?" 

This will tell you how many people you can have renting your rooms long term. Most places are 4 or 5. And the only way the city is going to know is if you piss off your neighbors by being loud or having lots of cars parked everywhere and they report you. 

House Hack Colorado Springs Logo

User Stats

Votes
Mike Williams
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Dalton, GA
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Dalton, GA
Replied Feb 1 2023, 13:23

Benjamin,

Would love to hear if you called him back and asked for specifically long term rental?

User Stats

Votes
Benjamin Freed
  • New to Real Estate
  • Augusta, Ga
Votes |
  • New to Real Estate
  • Augusta, Ga
Replied Feb 1 2023, 17:03

@Mike Williams

I emailed him back a follow up question which addressed how many non-related individuals can live in the same single family home and he did not mention a max number so I am assuming whatever the state maximum is that's what it would probably be. But I believe Mid-term and long term rentals with a single family home are both acceptable in Bartow County and would not require a license like a short term rental does. 

User Stats

Votes
Mike Williams
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Dalton, GA
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Dalton, GA
Replied Feb 1 2023, 18:53
Quote from @Benjamin Freed:

@Mike Williams

I emailed him back a follow up question which addressed how many non-related individuals can live in the same single family home and he did not mention a max number so I am assuming whatever the state maximum is that's what it would probably be. But I believe Mid-term and long term rentals with a single family home are both acceptable in Bartow County and would not require a license like a short term rental does. 

Awesome news. Glad to hear it will work. Good luck with the house hack! 

User Stats

Votes
Ryan Thomson#1 House Hacking Contributor
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Colorado Springs, CO
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Colorado Springs, CO
Replied Feb 2 2023, 10:33
Quote from @Benjamin Freed:

@Mike Williams

Nice!

House Hack Colorado Springs Logo