Max Philip Henry
Pro Member
Votes |
Question On Homestead Tax Exemption

Max Philip Henry
Pro Member
Posted Feb 3 2023, 13:23

Good afternoon,

I was hoping someone could give me some clarity when it comes to filing a homestead Tax exemption on a house hack. I currently live at my rental with a few other roommates, and I've heard conflicting arguments on if you can file a homestead exemption if you're also renting out rooms in the home, if anyone knows the answer (for Florida especially) I'd greatly appreciate some clarity. Thank you and have a good day.

User Stats

Votes
Jeff Copeland
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Tampa Bay/St Petersburg, FL
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
Replied Feb 4 2023, 08:34

My gut reaction was going to be "If you own the home, and you live in the home, then it is your homestead and you are entitled to the homestead exemption. Whether you live with your wife and kids, or 16 roommates, is really none of the State's business." 

However, after doing some fact checking, I now realize this is a tricky and contentious issue:

https://www.floridarealtors.or...

https://randrflorida.com/fla-c...

So the answer to your question is it depends on how your County's property appraiser interprets and enforces the rules, and it especially depends on the outcome of the pending supreme court case in the first link above

This is actually a really interesting issue to keep an eye on for people who work from home and maintain home offices. 

• Broker FL (#BK3326487)

Copeland Morgan LLC Logo

User Stats

Votes
Jeff Copeland
  • Real Estate Agent
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
Replied Feb 4 2023, 10:01
@Max Philip Henry:

To be clear, my thoughts are you should absolutely file for homestead exemption. And there are specific timelines and deadlines regarding when you have to do it with the County. It would be foolish not to.

Then you'll obviously, want to monitor the supreme court ruling, and considering being somewhat discreet about how you advertise your rooms for rent. 

Also, keep your neighbors happy to avoid any unnecessary complaints or reports to the County.

• Broker FL (#BK3326487)

Copeland Morgan LLC Logo
BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes