Skip to content
House Hacking

User Stats

Votes

Newbie to real estate Investing, Looking at House Hacking to get started

Posted May 21 2023, 19:56

Hey Everyone, Sebastian here!

I'm currently analyzing the multi-family properties in Indy for House Hacking. Curious if any investors in the Indianapolis area have any tips or guidance for me if I'm taking the right route with the current interest rate. I appreciate the help!

Thank you

User Stats

Votes
Austin Bull
  • Mesa, AZ
Votes |
  • Mesa, AZ
Replied May 21 2023, 22:13
I'm in the same boat as you but in Arizona. I'll be curious to see what people say..

User Stats

Votes
Kristen L Garner
Pro Member
  • Lender
  • Phoenix, AZ
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Lender
  • Phoenix, AZ
Replied May 22 2023, 05:35

Hi Sebastian! I also invest in Indianapolis. FHA rates are the best right now if you are able to use that to finance your house hacking. I'd be happy to run some numbers with today's rates for you if you want to DM me your scenario. Best of luck!

• Lender Wisconsin (#1660690), Iowa (#2189887), Rhode Island (#2189887), Alabama (#2189887), Tennessee (#2189887), Nationwide (#2189887), Washington (#MLO-103098), Oregon (#2189887), New Jersey (#2189887), North Carolina (#I-210621), Idaho (#MLO-2082189887), Colorado (#100531120), Idaho (#2189887), Texas (#2189887), Nevada (#76744), Montana (#2189887), Arizona (#1034355), South Carolina (#MLO - 2189887), Ohio (#MLO-OH.2189887), Michigan (#2189887), IL (#031.0074060), Georgia (#2189887), Connecticut (#LO-2189887), Indiana (#53742), Florida (#LO93837), and California (#CA-DFPI12189887)

• 213-880-0434
  • http://kristenloans.com
  • [email protected]
BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes
Account Closed
  • Columbus, OH
Votes |
  • Columbus, OH
Replied May 22 2023, 06:45

If you're a first time buyer, use an FHA loan with 3.5% interest, far better than the current rates you'll get on a traditional loan.

User Stats

Votes
Paul Stamm
  • Real Estate Consultant
  • Indiana
Votes |
  • Real Estate Consultant
  • Indiana
Replied May 22 2023, 08:49

Hey Sebastian! House hacking is a great option to begin your real estate journey. It is so powerful to be able to have other people paying down your mortgage all while living at a low cost or even for free! I'd like to connect you with some of my team if you'd like to know more about where you can find a solid house hack in Indy.

User Stats

Votes
Tanner Pile
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Colorado Springs, CO
Votes |
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Colorado Springs, CO
Replied May 22 2023, 09:00

@Sebastian Buckeridge

The more units you can get in your first house hack the better! 

This is mainly looking long term in having a better chance of cash flow on the property. You will also get the experience of being a property manager too. 

User Stats

Votes
Hamp Lee III
  • Investor
  • San Antonio, TX
Votes |
  • Investor
  • San Antonio, TX
Replied May 22 2023, 09:14

Check out the Neighborhood Assistance Corporation of America (NACA) loan program.

NACA was formed in 1988 and provides an affordable option for potential first-time buyers:

✅ No down payment

✅ No closing costs or fees

✅ No mortgage insurance

✅ No consideration of credit score

✅ Below market fixed interest rate

There are several requirements to be eligible, starting with attending one of their workshops.

https://www.naca.com

I wish you all the best.

User Stats

Votes
Ryan Thomson#1 House Hacking Contributor
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Colorado Springs, CO
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Colorado Springs, CO
Replied May 22 2023, 09:15

@Sebastian Buckeridge here is how I think about the numbers right now...

House hacking is tough to cashflow in year one (with current house price run-ups and interest rates) for a couple reasons:

1. You are living in one of the rentable units

2. You are only putting 5% down so your loan amount is much larger and therefore your mortgage payment.

I would consider your net worth ROI. What I mean by this is considering how much your down payment returns to your net worth (appreciation, loan paydown, tax benefits, AND rent avoidance). Don't forget to include rent avoidance in your numbers! You have to live somewhere.

House Hack Colorado Springs Logo

User Stats

Votes
Replied May 22 2023, 09:37

@Hamp Lee III Thank you for sharing the Naca program, I just signed up for the workshop!

User Stats

Votes
Replied May 22 2023, 09:39

@Ryan Thomson Understood, thanks for sharing these insights! 

User Stats

Votes
Nick Giulioni
Pro Member
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Carmel, IN
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Carmel, IN
Replied May 23 2023, 03:36
Quote from @Sebastian Buckeridge:

Hey Everyone, Sebastian here!

I'm currently analyzing the multi-family properties in Indy for House Hacking. Curious if any investors in the Indianapolis area have any tips or guidance for me if I'm taking the right route with the current interest rate. I appreciate the help!

Thank you

A couple of tips:

- Looks for things in the listing like Mother in law suite (those can be hidden gems)

- Make sure it's separately metered (you don't want to pay your tenant's utilities)

- Find a great agent who knows your local market

Hit me up if there's anything I can do to help you out here in Indy!

User Stats

Votes
Replied May 23 2023, 12:56

@Nick Giulioni Thanks for the tips Nick! Curious what is the mother in law suite? 

User Stats

Votes
Nick Giulioni
Pro Member
  • Carmel, IN
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Carmel, IN
Replied May 25 2023, 11:51

@Nick Giulioni Thanks for the tips Nick! Curious what is the mother in law suite? 

Usually they are little spaces that have their own kitchen, bathroom, etc and a separate entrance. Our first house had an apartment over the garage. it was great!

BiggerPockets logo
Meet Investor-Friendly Agents
|
BiggerPockets
Network with top investor-friendly agents who can help you find, analyze, and close your next deal.

User Stats

Votes
Rome West
  • New to Real Estate
  • Arizona
Votes |
  • New to Real Estate
  • Arizona
Replied May 25 2023, 17:09

@Hamp Lee III Thank you for sharing the Naca program, I just signed up for the workshop!

I to was planning on using this program,  only downfall for rei is that program requires you to make this your primary residence indefinitely. I'm sure you can find out a way to make it work for you but just wanted to throw that out there. Best of luck 

User Stats

Votes
Hamp Lee III
  • Investor
  • San Antonio, TX
Votes |
  • Investor
  • San Antonio, TX
Replied May 25 2023, 17:51
Quote from @Rome West:

I too was planning on using this program,  only downfall for rei is that program requires you to make this your primary residence indefinitely. I'm sure you can find out a way to make it work for you but just wanted to throw that out there. Best of luck 

There’s always exits to consider when you enter, but the good thing about this program is that it can get you started…especially if you’re able to purchase a multifamily. Having that for a few years can help you save and get ready for the next purchase. By then, the home may be eligible for a refinance…

Real estate investing is a long game. Some years are action-packed, and other years are not.

Just something to consider. 

I wish you all the best.

User Stats

Votes
Julius Clark
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Indianapolis
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Indianapolis
Replied Jul 21 2023, 09:26

Hey Sebastian! I definitely agree with Kristen for your typical house hack. If you're looking for something else you could also consider hard money and the king, cash. Hope all is well!