User Stats

Votes
Nick P.
Votes |
Building a Duplex vs. Purchasing

Nick P.
Posted May 22 2023, 13:01

Hi All,

I'm brand new to real estate investing, but looking to hit the ground running. I would like my first property to be a house hack, preferably a duplex. Due to work restrictions (I am required to live near a city where we have an office) and mixed with personal preference, there are a couple of cities/areas that I am interested in purchasing. However, after much research, not many properties currently for sale make sense for me in these areas. There is however vacant land, zoned for multi-family, for sale at a reasonable purchase price. I'm curious if anyone has experience here and would advocate either for or against this. Would this be too large of a project for a first time investor? Any thoughts/commentary is greatly appreciated. 

Thanks in advance and looking forward to learning here!

User Stats

Votes
Dan Guenther
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Longmont, CO
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Longmont, CO
Replied May 24 2023, 10:52

@Nick P.

Congratulations on embarking on your real estate investing journey! It's great to see your enthusiasm and eagerness to hit the ground running. House hacking, particularly through a duplex, can be an excellent strategy for new investors.

Considering your work restrictions and personal preferences, it's understandable that you've narrowed down your search to specific cities/areas. However, you've found that the current properties for sale in those areas don't align with your investment criteria. This is a common challenge in real estate, and it's encouraging that you're exploring alternative options.

Vacant land zoned for multi-family development could be a viable choice, but it's essential to approach it with careful consideration. Here are a few factors to ponder before making a decision:

1. Feasibility: Assess the feasibility of developing a multi-family property on the vacant land. Look into zoning regulations, permits, and any other legal requirements that may apply. Consult with professionals such as architects, contractors, and local authorities to understand the potential challenges and costs involved.
  2. Budget and Financing: Determine your budget for purchasing the land and developing the property. Consider whether you have sufficient funds or if you'll need financing. Securing loans for a first-time investor can be challenging, so explore your options and ensure you have a solid financial plan.
  3. Time and Effort: Developing a multi-family property from vacant land can be time-consuming and demanding. Are you prepared to invest the necessary time and effort into overseeing the project? Consider whether you have the expertise or willingness to manage contractors, navigate construction challenges, and handle any unexpected issues that may arise.
  4. Risk Tolerance: Assess your risk tolerance as a first-time investor. Developing a property from scratch carries more risks compared to purchasing an existing one. It's important to be realistic about the potential challenges and uncertainties involved, both financially and logistically.

While developing a multi-family property may seem daunting for a first-time investor, it's not necessarily out of reach. With thorough research, proper planning, and a team of professionals to support you, it can be a rewarding venture. However, if you find the project too complex or overwhelming, it may be worth considering alternative strategies, such as exploring other cities/areas with more suitable properties or seeking guidance from experienced investors or real estate mentors.

Remember, real estate investing is a continuous learning process. Engage with online communities, attend local real estate meetups, and network with experienced investors who can provide valuable insights and guidance based on their own experiences.

Best of luck with your decision and future real estate endeavors! Enjoy the learning journey ahead.

Reach out if you want to discuss some alternative options! 

Dan Guenther Logo

User Stats

Votes
Andrew Postell
Lender
Pro Member
#1 Creative Real Estate Financing Contributor
  • Lender
  • Fort Worth, TX
Votes |
Lender
Pro Member
#1 Creative Real Estate Financing Contributor
  • Lender
  • Fort Worth, TX
Replied May 25 2023, 09:59

@Nick P. thanks for the post here.  I began my real estate career house hacking.  It was so beneficial for me to do it and I am glad that it's how I got started.  

Now, you will find that building is SIGNIFICANTLY higher cost than purchasing a pre-existing home. If you think you have the scratch for it the first step will be to find a builder...but I think you will quickly see why most people don't go that route. I would bet that there aren't that many 2-4 unit properties in your area. And that is common in many areas. So broaden that search. Seek out single family homes with an ADU and if needed just use a single family home and rent out the rooms (that's what I did). Your commitment is to occupy the property for 12 months. So it doesn't have to be a perfect scenario. Maybe in 12 months the market is different and you can find something even better. 12 months will fly by.

Anyway, hope all of that helps.  Thanks!

Guaranteed Rate Logo
BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Ryan Thomson#1 House Hacking Contributor
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Colorado Springs, CO
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Colorado Springs, CO
Replied May 28 2023, 11:19

@Nick P. 

I wonder if your criteria may be a little unrealistic for the current market.

House hacking is tough to cashflow in year one (with current house price run-ups and interest rates) for a couple reasons:

1. You are living in one of the rentable units

2. You are only putting 5% down so your loan amount is much larger and therefore your mortgage payment.

I would consider your net worth ROI. What I mean by this is considering how much your down payment returns to your net worth (appreciation, loan paydown, tax benefits, AND rent avoidance). Don't forget to include rent avoidance in your numbers! You have to live somewhere.

You may need to lower your return or cashflow expectations so you can get into a house hack that will allow you to avoid throwing rent money away every month. You know this, but don't forget all the other ways real estate makes you money. Paying down your mortgage and owning an asset that will appreciate over the long term.

House Hack Colorado Springs Logo

User Stats

Votes
Nick P.
Votes |
Replied May 30 2023, 12:28
Quote from @Dan Guenther:

@Nick P.

Congratulations on embarking on your real estate investing journey! It's great to see your enthusiasm and eagerness to hit the ground running. House hacking, particularly through a duplex, can be an excellent strategy for new investors.

Considering your work restrictions and personal preferences, it's understandable that you've narrowed down your search to specific cities/areas. However, you've found that the current properties for sale in those areas don't align with your investment criteria. This is a common challenge in real estate, and it's encouraging that you're exploring alternative options.

Vacant land zoned for multi-family development could be a viable choice, but it's essential to approach it with careful consideration. Here are a few factors to ponder before making a decision:

1. Feasibility: Assess the feasibility of developing a multi-family property on the vacant land. Look into zoning regulations, permits, and any other legal requirements that may apply. Consult with professionals such as architects, contractors, and local authorities to understand the potential challenges and costs involved.
  2. Budget and Financing: Determine your budget for purchasing the land and developing the property. Consider whether you have sufficient funds or if you'll need financing. Securing loans for a first-time investor can be challenging, so explore your options and ensure you have a solid financial plan.
  3. Time and Effort: Developing a multi-family property from vacant land can be time-consuming and demanding. Are you prepared to invest the necessary time and effort into overseeing the project? Consider whether you have the expertise or willingness to manage contractors, navigate construction challenges, and handle any unexpected issues that may arise.
  4. Risk Tolerance: Assess your risk tolerance as a first-time investor. Developing a property from scratch carries more risks compared to purchasing an existing one. It's important to be realistic about the potential challenges and uncertainties involved, both financially and logistically.

While developing a multi-family property may seem daunting for a first-time investor, it's not necessarily out of reach. With thorough research, proper planning, and a team of professionals to support you, it can be a rewarding venture. However, if you find the project too complex or overwhelming, it may be worth considering alternative strategies, such as exploring other cities/areas with more suitable properties or seeking guidance from experienced investors or real estate mentors.

Remember, real estate investing is a continuous learning process. Engage with online communities, attend local real estate meetups, and network with experienced investors who can provide valuable insights and guidance based on their own experiences.

Best of luck with your decision and future real estate endeavors! Enjoy the learning journey ahead.

Reach out if you want to discuss some alternative options! 

Thank you for the replay! Really great insight here- especially the time and effort and risk tolerance. If the build were to run into some trouble I wonder if my lack of experience could potentially hurt me. Will make sure to check back in here and update once I get something under contract!

User Stats

Votes
Nick P.
Votes |
Replied May 30 2023, 12:30
Quote from @Andrew Postell:

@Nick P. thanks for the post here.  I began my real estate career house hacking.  It was so beneficial for me to do it and I am glad that it's how I got started.  

Now, you will find that building is SIGNIFICANTLY higher cost than purchasing a pre-existing home. If you think you have the scratch for it the first step will be to find a builder...but I think you will quickly see why most people don't go that route. I would bet that there aren't that many 2-4 unit properties in your area. And that is common in many areas. So broaden that search. Seek out single family homes with an ADU and if needed just use a single family home and rent out the rooms (that's what I did). Your commitment is to occupy the property for 12 months. So it doesn't have to be a perfect scenario. Maybe in 12 months the market is different and you can find something even better. 12 months will fly by.

Anyway, hope all of that helps.  Thanks!

Definitely helps, thank you Andrew. That's a great point about the ADU- during my search, I came across a property with a mother in law suite in the back and basically dismissed it initially. But thinking that could be a great option for a year to live there and rent out the main unit. Thank you again

User Stats

Votes
Nick P.
Votes |
Replied May 30 2023, 12:32
Quote from @Ryan Thomson:

@Nick P. 

House hacking is tough to cashflow in year one (with current house price run-ups and interest rates) for a couple reasons:

2. You are only putting 5% down so your loan amount is much larger and therefore your mortgage payment.

I would consider your net worth ROI. What I mean by this is considering how much your down payment returns to your net worth (appreciation, loan paydown, tax benefits, AND rent avoidance). Don't forget to include rent avoidance in your numbers! You have to live somewhere.

You may need to lower your return or cashflow expectations so you can get into a house hack that will allow you to avoid throwing rent money away every month. You know this, but don't forget all the other ways real estate makes you money. Paying down your mortgage and owning an asset that will appreciate over the long term.

Thank you for the response- I can see my criteria as being unrealistic. Can definitely look to expand and take a less ideal situation in the short term to set me up down the road!

User Stats

Votes
Ryan Thomson#1 House Hacking Contributor
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Colorado Springs, CO
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Colorado Springs, CO
Replied May 31 2023, 08:00
Quote from @Nick P.:
Quote from @Ryan Thomson:

@Nick P. 

Thank you for the response- I can see my criteria as being unrealistic. Can definitely look to expand and take a less ideal situation in the short term to set me up down the road!

Smart move!
House Hack Colorado Springs Logo

User Stats

Votes
Rick Albert#3 House Hacking Contributor
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Los Angeles, CA
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Los Angeles, CA
Replied May 31 2023, 11:45

Unless you have the capital, time, and experience, NEVER build from scratch.

If options are limited, look into buying a single family residence and converting the garage into an ADU. That's a fair compromise to get what you want. I have a client that is doing that and even got the house rented while work was happening. This kept her costs down.

User Stats

Votes
Sarah Blesse
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Fresno, CA
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Fresno, CA
Replied Aug 29 2023, 21:30

This all comes down to your commitment, time and determination. This could be a great opportunity to learn a TON but you have to be committed to seeing it all the way through!