House Hacking

User Stats

Votes
Rene Ochoa
Votes |
New to BP, HELOC INVESTMENT.

Rene Ochoa
Posted May 23 2023, 17:28

Hi,I'm trying to get a HELOC on investment property and used to house hacking, construction .the bank that I have my properties doesn't have it anymore where is a good place to get that type of loan?

thank you 

User Stats

Votes
Rick Albert#3 House Hacking Contributor
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Los Angeles, CA
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Los Angeles, CA
Replied May 23 2023, 18:13

A lot of banks right now are holding off on HELOCs on investment properties or if they are, they terms aren't great.

Since it is house hacking, have you looked into the FHA 203(k) loan? There are other construction loans for primary residences that will probably work.

User Stats

Votes
Andrew Postell
Lender
Pro Member
#1 Creative Real Estate Financing Contributor
  • Lender
  • Fort Worth, TX
Votes |
Lender
Pro Member
#1 Creative Real Estate Financing Contributor
  • Lender
  • Fort Worth, TX
Replied May 23 2023, 20:29

@Rene Ochoa On the investment property you are trying to get a HELOC on, what is the value of the property and how much do you owe on the property?

Guaranteed Rate Logo
Host Financial  logo
Host Financial
|
Sponsored
15% Down DSCR Loans 80% Cash Outs Mention BPFORUM500 at Quoting to Wave $500 Processing Fee

User Stats

Votes
Devin Peterson
  • Lender
Votes |
  • Lender
Replied May 24 2023, 04:13

Yes, this is possible within reason of guidelines. Send me a PM and I can connect you

User Stats

Votes
Rene Ochoa
Votes |
Replied May 24 2023, 18:40
Quote from @Rick Albert:

A lot of banks right now are holding off on HELOCs on investment properties or if they are, they terms aren't great.

Since it is house hacking, have you looked into the FHA 203(k) loan? There are other construction loans for primary residences that will probably work.

User Stats

Votes
Rene Ochoa
Votes |
Replied May 24 2023, 18:45
Quote from @Rene Ochoa:
Quote from @Rick Albert:

Hi @Rick Albert thank you I will look into FHA 203(K) loan.

User Stats

Votes
Rene Ochoa
Votes |
Replied May 24 2023, 18:49
Quote from @Andrew Postell:

@Rene Ochoa On the investment property you are trying to get a HELOC on, what is the value of the property and how much do you owe on the property?

Hi @Rick Albert the amount that I own is 330 and with some comparable, I think the value will be 700-750
thank you

User Stats

Votes
Rick Albert#3 House Hacking Contributor
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Los Angeles, CA
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Los Angeles, CA
Replied May 24 2023, 19:15
Quote from @Rene Ochoa:

Hi @Rick Albert the amount that I own is 330 and with some comparable, I think the value will be 700-750
thank you

For the investment property, correct? Some lenders will max out at 70%-80% LTV. If you do the FHA 203(k) loan, you only have to put down 3.5% of the purchase price and construction costs.

User Stats

Votes
Rene Ochoa
Votes |
Replied May 25 2023, 12:46
Quote from @Rene Ochoa:

Hi @Andrew Postell
the amount that I own is 330 and with some comparable, I think the value will be 700-750
thank you

User Stats

Votes
Ryan Thomson#1 House Hacking Contributor
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Colorado Springs, CO
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Colorado Springs, CO
Replied May 28 2023, 11:18

@Rene Ochoa try local credit unions

House Hack Colorado Springs Logo

User Stats

Votes
Replied May 28 2023, 12:35
Quote from @Rene Ochoa:

Hi,I'm trying to get a HELOC on investment property and used to house hacking, construction .the bank that I have my properties doesn't have it anymore where is a good place to get that type of loan?

thank you 

Hi Rene, there are lenders offering this right now. The lowest rate and fee providers aren't so its not free/cheap money but what it can do for you obviously is the trade off. Leverage to make bigger gains with the construction- good for you. Happy to talk more - feel free to DM