• Real Estate Broker
  • Honesdale, PA
Votes |
My Wife / Two Children (Toddlers) and I HouseHack

Jeremy Watson
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Honesdale, PA
Posted Feb 24 2024, 18:35

We’ve been House Hacking for the past 4 years.  Will be upgrading soon but it’s been an awesome journey.  What questions do you have? (We’re in a TriPlex). 

User Stats

Votes
Steve Vaughan#1 Personal Finance Contributor
  • Rental Property Investor
  • East Wenatchee, WA
Votes |
Steve Vaughan#1 Personal Finance Contributor
  • Rental Property Investor
  • East Wenatchee, WA
Replied Feb 24 2024, 23:11
Quote from @Jeremy Watson:

We’ve been House Hacking for the past 4 years.  Will be upgrading soon but it’s been an awesome journey.  What questions do you have? (We’re in a TriPlex). 

That's awesome, Jeremy.   Be a little uncomfortable now to accelerate your goals and freedom later was my motto.

My family and I have had the same househack since 2007.  It's a MIL apartment down in the lower quarter.  

Helped us pay off the mortgage, now we are paid to live here after paying all expenses like taxes, insurance, utilities,  internet,  etc👍

User Stats

Votes
Jeremy Jareckyj
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Salt Lake City, UT
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Salt Lake City, UT
Replied Feb 26 2024, 06:59

Are you planning on going for a SFH or what do you mean by upgrading? Congrats to you by the way!!

Steadily logo
Steadily
|
Sponsored
America’s best-rated landlord insurance nationwide Quotes online in minutes. Single-family, fix n’ flips, short-term rentals, and more. Great prices.

User Stats

Votes
Jeremy Watson
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Honesdale, PA
Votes |
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Honesdale, PA
Replied Feb 26 2024, 07:08
That’s great Steve! Congratulations to you guys and very true, little sacrifices today for a better tomorrow. 

Quote from @Steve Vaughan:

That's awesome, Jeremy.   Be a little uncomfortable now to accelerate your goals and freedom later was my motto.

My family and I have had the same househack since 2007.  It's a MIL apartment down in the lower quarter.  

Helped us pay off the mortgage, now we are paid to live here after paying all expenses like taxes, insurance, utilities,  internet,  etc👍

User Stats

Votes
Jeremy Watson
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Honesdale, PA
Votes |
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Honesdale, PA
Replied Feb 26 2024, 07:10
Love your name ;). And thank you. 

And yes indeed. Well most likely build but aren’t opposed to buying (inventory is so low in our area however).  

We may just build because at this point we know what we really like and don’t like. 

Eitherway, will be another fun journey! 

Quote from @Jeremy Jareckyj:

Are you planning on going for a SFH or what do you mean by upgrading? Congrats to you by the way!!

User Stats

Votes
Ryan Thomson#1 House Hacking Contributor
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Colorado Springs, CO
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Colorado Springs, CO
Replied Feb 26 2024, 11:59

Nice work @Jeremy Watson! I love a good house hack. I've done five in Colorado Springs! Keep up the good work. 

House Hack Colorado Springs Logo

User Stats

Votes
Jeremy Watson
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Honesdale, PA
Votes |
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Honesdale, PA
Replied Feb 26 2024, 18:12
Quote from @Ryan Thomson:

Nice work @Jeremy Watson! I love a good house hack. I've done five in Colorado Springs! Keep up the good work. 

That is amazing. Love to hear that! 

And thank you. We’ve really been enjoying it to be honest. Just time to expand. 

User Stats

Votes
Jeremy Watson
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Honesdale, PA
Votes |
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Honesdale, PA
Replied Feb 27 2024, 18:13
Quote from @Account Closed:

That sounds amazing! House hacking with two toddlers must have its challenges, but it sounds like you've navigated them well. 

Upgrading soon sounds exciting! How did you manage the balance between living space and rental units? Any tips for others looking to start house hacking, especially with young kids?

Hi Chris! 

It’s been a journey for sure. But it’s been really great having them in this environment/ touching on the investment life education (ex; we live upstairs ..’shh no jumping and running..it’s late and we have tenants’) / starting our family here. 

Balance hasn’t been too hard although the walls are closing in now. We have the larger 3BR upstairs so that’s been nice. Also, it’s a fairly well balanced property with separate porches / entrances and plenty of parking surrounding. When we first acquired there was an older tenant (83 at the time), who lived in the lower 1BR. She was so happy to have us and when we had our kids she was ecstatic. The other unit is a cozy studio and we’ve had much higher turnover there but they’ve all been great. 

Advice; go for it! I really believe as a first property , especially after renting and looking to start a family, it's an ideal move. Easier to make the sacrifice now and ‘share' space rather than have a SFH and go the other way (imo)

This unit we’re currently in will pay a huge portion of our next mortgage while the other two float this property’s mortgage and expenses (not true for every house / we’re in a great area and bought preCOVID). 

Thanks for reaching out Chris and happy to answer any other questions.