Medium-Term Rentals

User Stats

Votes
Heather Rummel
Votes |
Austin and surrounding areas for mid-term rental

Heather Rummel
Posted Mar 8 2022, 15:41

Hello Everyone!  My sister and I plan to buy our first property together in the Austin, Tx area in the $400/500k range.  We are leaning towards doing a medium term rental (30+ days but not a regular 12 month lease).  We plan to do this so we can utilize a vacation home loan for our first property (we will stay there occasionally).  Curious if anyone has any thoughts on a good location for this.  I don't know the area well and will be leaning on our property manager and realtor for help but I'd love to hear from this group as well.  Thanks so much for any advice!

User Stats

Votes
Jordan Moorhead
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Austin, TX
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Austin, TX
Replied Mar 9 2022, 07:33

@Heather Rummel there are lots of great areas for this! I'm currently doing one in East Austin and one in South Austin off William Cannon and @Conner Olsen on my team is doing one just North of the Domain also. 

You just don't want to be too far out to make these work

The Moorhead Team Logo

User Stats

Votes
Conner Olsen
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Austin, TX
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Austin, TX
Replied Mar 11 2022, 06:56

@Heather Rummel Like Jordan said I have a monthly rental by the Domain. I have seen that you can make this strategy work in Austin and the immediate suburbs. I'd make sure the property manager is familiar with monthly rentals. Many property managers charge 20%+ for anything short-term rental related and at that point you probably wouldn't cashflow. 

For 400k-500k you can expect $3,000-$4,500 in gross revenue depending on the area. Airbnb will take 3% of revenue as a platform fee. For a 3/2 you might have $400-$550/month for utilities and $10k-$15k in furnishings. Hope that helps!

BiggerPockets logo
Meet Investor-Friendly Agents
|
BiggerPockets
Network with top investor-friendly agents who can help you find, analyze, and close your next deal.

User Stats

Votes
Eric Gabbard
  • Austin, TX
Votes |
  • Austin, TX
Replied Nov 10 2022, 13:18
Quote from @Jordan Moorhead:

@Heather Rummel there are lots of great areas for this! I'm currently doing one in East Austin and one in South Austin off William Cannon and @Conner Olsen on my team is doing one just North of the Domain also. 

You just don't want to be too far out to make these work

What would you consider too far out of the city for a MTR to work? I have a 4/2.5 home off of Slaughter that I'd love to turn into a mid-term rental. I haven't found a great way to figure out what the demand would be.

User Stats

Votes
Jordan Moorhead
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Austin, TX
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Austin, TX
Replied Nov 10 2022, 13:36

I don't think that would be too far @Eric Gabbard, do you @Conner Olsen?

The Moorhead Team Logo

User Stats

Votes
Conner Olsen
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Austin, TX
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Austin, TX
Replied Nov 10 2022, 19:31

@Eric Gabbard @Jordan Moorhead There's definitely still demand on Slaughter. I just sold a 4-plex last month to clients looking to MTR off Slaughter. I made a youtube video on how to determine rates and demand for MTR on Airbnb! 

User Stats

Votes
Eric Gabbard
  • Austin, TX
Votes |
  • Austin, TX
Replied Nov 10 2022, 20:02

Appreciate you both! 

@Conner Olsen can you link your YouTube channel so I can check out the video?

User Stats

Votes
Eliott Elias#3 BRRRR - Buy, Rehab, Rent, Refinance, Repeat Contributor
  • Investor
  • Austin, TX
Votes |
Eliott Elias#3 BRRRR - Buy, Rehab, Rent, Refinance, Repeat Contributor
  • Investor
  • Austin, TX
Replied Nov 10 2022, 20:12

Medium term rentals attract a different clientele than STR. I would try to buy around company headquarters like Apple, Dell, Samsung, Google. Get those clients who are on assignment and don't want to be held to a one year lease

User Stats

Votes
Maria Hernandez
Pro Member
  • Austin, TX
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Austin, TX
Replied Nov 25 2022, 12:30

@Conner Olsen I'd also love to see your YouTube video! Can you please post a link? 

User Stats

Votes
Replied Jan 18 2023, 10:50
Quote from @Eliott Elias:

Medium term rentals attract a different clientele than STR. I would try to buy around company headquarters like Apple, Dell, Samsung, Google. Get those clients who are on assignment and don't want to be held to a one year lease

Are you relying solely on airbnb and furnished finder to find those clients on assignments?