Medium-Term Rentals

User Stats

Votes
Alyssa Magyar
Votes |
MTR/STR Property Management software.

Alyssa Magyar
Posted Nov 3 2022, 11:23

I am in the process of setting up my townhome as a STR and MTR. I'm trying to self manage and was wondering if you all used a property management software to manage the STR and MTR properties or if you use 2 separate softwares if any? I would use software like Guesty for STR and Avail for MTR if i were to do one or the other type of rental, but not sure what i should use to manage them if using the townhome as both STR and MTR. My other thought would be to use software for STR and direct booking website for MTR. Any advice would be very helpful!

User Stats

Votes
Andrew Bang
Pro Member
  • Lender
  • Texas; Arizona
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Lender
  • Texas; Arizona
Replied Nov 3 2022, 14:13

I like Hemlane.com and innago.com.   Used both, each are good, neither is perfect.

User Stats

Votes
Heather Brown
  • Investor
  • NC
Votes |
  • Investor
  • NC
Replied Nov 4 2022, 05:44

@Alyssa Magyar I'm also trying to set up a townhome for a STR/MTR blend; at least that was the plan. The property is in Chesapeake VA and dealing with the city as far as STR's has not been fun so far. So now I think I'm going to focus solely on the MTR strategy and see how it goes. I was hoping to do both so that I would have options. Anyway, I use Hospitable for my other STR and like it. I'm planning to use Furnished Finder and Avail for the MTR. I researched all of the different ones available and for the cost/features I thought Avail was the best. Good luck with your place!

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Replied Nov 8 2022, 18:34
Quote from @Heather Brown:

@Alyssa Magyar I'm also trying to set up a townhome for a STR/MTR blend; at least that was the plan. The property is in Chesapeake VA and dealing with the city as far as STR's has not been fun so far. So now I think I'm going to focus solely on the MTR strategy and see how it goes. I was hoping to do both so that I would have options. Anyway, I use Hospitable for my other STR and like it. I'm planning to use Furnished Finder and Avail for the MTR. I researched all of the different ones available and for the cost/features I thought Avail was the best. Good luck with your place!

User Stats

Votes
Replied Nov 8 2022, 18:39

I use Avail for my STR and MTR properties. It's not perfect but it does offer State by State leases and the ability to collect payments easily. The "bookkeeping" features are cumbersome and don't easily break up by property or generate great reports.
Having said that, it’s worth the price for the other features. 

User Stats

Votes
Alyssa Magyar
Votes |
Replied Nov 9 2022, 05:22
Quote from @Alan Davis:

I use Avail for my STR and MTR properties. It's not perfect but it does offer State by State leases and the ability to collect payments easily. The "bookkeeping" features are cumbersome and don't easily break up by property or generate great reports.

Thanks Alan! Does Avail integrate with Airbnb and other STR platforms?

User Stats

Votes
Replied Nov 9 2022, 06:15
Quote from @Alyssa Magyar:
Quote from @Alan Davis:

User Stats

Votes
Justin Brickman
  • Realtor
  • San Antonio, TX
Votes |
  • Realtor
  • San Antonio, TX
Replied Nov 9 2022, 06:19

Beyond Pricing!

• Real Estate Agent

• 210-827-6020
Justin Brickman Realty Logo

User Stats

Votes
Replied Nov 9 2022, 06:25
Quote from @Alan Davis:
Quote from @Alan Davis:

Not to my knowledge. Someone else may be able to speak more to that. For STR I only use it to post expenses since Airbnb handles collection and distribution of funds but as I say, that part is cumbersome. I find it more useful where I need up to date leases and online rent collection capability. Bigger Pockets pro has also now added Rent Redi to the Pro membership and I have heard good things about them. 

User Stats

Votes
Nicholas Davaul
Pro Member
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Katy, TX
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Katy, TX
Replied Nov 10 2022, 18:57

Just asking, but would Rent-Redi be able to manage MTR's???   It's part of the pro-membership.

User Stats

Votes
Allen Duan
Pro Member
#3 Medium-Term Rentals Contributor
  • Property Manager
  • Los Angeles, CA
Votes |
Pro Member
#3 Medium-Term Rentals Contributor
  • Property Manager
  • Los Angeles, CA
Replied Nov 11 2022, 15:27

Most of the software out there is designed for either short term rentals or long term. If you go with a system designed for short term rentals, you'll have the ability to manage leads, send quotes, and deal with your bookings more like a short term rental that happens to be 30+ nights. If you use a software designed for long term rentals, you'll have less of those type of features, but you may get features that help with getting a lease signed, maintenance ticket tracking, and the like. So you'll have to decide which is best. 

We use Hostfully to manage our mid term properties. I believe MTR are more similar to STR than LTR, which is why I take this approach. I think it's better to stick with one system rather than two as well =)

User Stats

Votes
Sarah Weaver
  • KC, MO
Votes |
  • KC, MO
Replied Nov 15 2022, 14:12

Hi! Congratulations on your MTR. 

I cross-list my MTR units on Furnished Finder and Airbnb. If they book directly on Airbnb, I do not send a lease. If they apply by email, I send them a lease on Apartments.com or Avail.co (a lengthier process, but sometimes tenants like to avoid the Airbnb fees). 

I use Hospitable to automate guest communication for my tenants, regardless of if they booked manually or via Airbnb. Let me know if there's anything I can clarify! 

User Stats

Votes
Travis Andres
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Los Angeles
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Los Angeles
Replied Mar 23 2024, 11:06
Quote from @Heather Brown:

Hey Heather, thanks for sharing...we're about to start our MTR journey and looking for the best software/systems to use.  so would you mind sharing your experience so far and what you recommend?

Any insight would be much appreciated, thanks!

User Stats

Votes
Travis Andres
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Los Angeles
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Los Angeles
Replied Mar 23 2024, 11:33
Quote from @Sarah Weaver:

Hi! Congratulations on your MTR. 

I cross-list my MTR units on Furnished Finder and Airbnb. If they book directly on Airbnb, I do not send a lease. If they apply by email, I send them a lease on Apartments.com or Avail.co (a lengthier process, but sometimes tenants like to avoid the Airbnb fees). 

I use Hospitable to automate guest communication for my tenants, regardless of if they booked manually or via Airbnb. Let me know if there's anything I can clarify! 

Hey Sarah, thanks for the info!  So are those the only software/systems that you use for your MTR's? we're about to get started with our first, so trying to learn what we might not know in order to streamline things as much as possible (especially since we don't live in the city where our MTR is)

thanks!

User Stats

Votes
Bonnie Low
Pro Member
#1 Medium-Term Rentals Contributor
  • Investor
  • Cottonwood, CA
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Cottonwood, CA
Replied Mar 24 2024, 12:42

I am in the process of setting up my townhome as a STR and MTR. I'm trying to self manage and was wondering if you all used a property management software to manage the STR and MTR properties or if you use 2 separate softwares if any? I would use software like Guesty for STR and Avail for MTR if i were to do one or the other type of rental, but not sure what i should use to manage them if using the townhome as both STR and MTR. My other thought would be to use software for STR and direct booking website for MTR. Any advice would be very helpful!

Hi, Alyssa. You've mentioned Guesty and Avail as examples, but in my experience these are very different. Guesty is primarily a channel management software you can use for scheduling, managing your bookings and communicating with team members such as cleaners. This type of program works very well for STRs and MTRs. Avail is more limited to the tenant experience side of things such as creating lease agreements and accepting rent payments and deposits. They can be complementary but don't perform the same way. Personally, I use Hospitable as my channel manager and Baselane for all my bookkeeping, banking and tenant/guest related activities.

User Stats

Votes
Jeremy Jareckyj
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Salt Lake City, UT
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Salt Lake City, UT
Replied Mar 25 2024, 00:21

I use airbnb and vrbo to promote my MTRs. I use turbotenant to also promote my MTRS but they don't sync with airbnb or VRBO. 

IGMS is my channel manager.

User Stats

Votes
Jamie Banks
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Consultant
  • Reston, VA
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Consultant
  • Reston, VA
Replied Mar 25 2024, 15:49

I’ve built my own PMS through Monday.com because there wasn’t one software that met all my needs. 

In addition to that I’m using Baselane for rent collection. I find that it’s one of the cheapest ways for tenants to pay rent as other softwares charge high fees to tenants and / or the landlord. Baselane is a free software and if tenants pay through ACH to your Baselane account then there’s no charge to the tenant. 

User Stats

Votes
Ruoqi Tian
Pro Member
Votes |
Pro Member
Replied Apr 2 2024, 09:09
Quote from @Nicholas Davaul:

Just asking, but would Rent-Redi be able to manage MTR's???   It's part of the pro-membership.

Absolutely. I use it to manage my MTR and is working great. Here is my flow: Furnished Finder to generate leads and manage calendars-> BP state-specific leases + DocuSign for lease signings -> RentRedi for the rest (payments and reminders, maintenance requests, etc.)

I have no problem with RentRedi. It's free with BP-pro, and offers phone apps for both landlords and tenants.

Good luck,

Ruoqi 

User Stats

Votes
Nicole Heasley Beitenman
Pro Member
#5 Medium-Term Rentals Contributor
  • Lender
  • Youngstown, OH
Votes |
Pro Member
#5 Medium-Term Rentals Contributor
  • Lender
  • Youngstown, OH
Replied Apr 3 2024, 17:01

We were using KeyCheck to collect rent, but I'm just not gelling with it. We're going to give RentRedi a try.