Zach Fagas
Pro Member
Votes |
House rules, items check list, any other pre tenant items

Zach Fagas
Pro Member
Posted Nov 11 2022, 09:49

Hey everyone!

I am an experienced real estate agent but rookie landlord for reference.

I just got my first tenant off Furnished Finder! Woohoo!  

I am getting the lease together now.  What other items do I need? Assuming I need some house rules and list of furnished items checklist with replacement costs.  If anyone has any samples of these I would appreciate any help.  

Anything else I am forgetting?

Thanks!

User Stats

Votes
Allen Duan
Pro Member
#3 Medium-Term Rentals Contributor
  • Property Manager
  • Los Angeles, CA
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Property Manager
  • Los Angeles, CA
Replied Nov 11 2022, 15:20

Hi Zach,

You'll need house rules and some sort of house manual that includes check in/check out instructions and information for your home. You can build this out over time, but at the minimum they need to know how to check in =)

You also should be prepared for a post stay inspection so you can check for any damage or missing items. You may know off the top of your head what was in there before this first booking, but creating a system is always ideal.

Also, as a first time landlord, be prepared for how you'll handle maintenance issues and other issues that require boots on the ground. Are you going to go yourself to take care of things or do you have others lined up to help? Your first booking usually reveals many issues that would be hard to notice without living there yourself. 

I hope that helps! Happy to answer any questions.

User Stats

Votes
Zach Fagas
Pro Member
Votes |
Pro Member
Replied Nov 11 2022, 19:35

Great! Thank you.

Yes I have a team full of contractors I am an agent locally and have flipped a couple houses so I have a great team thankfully.

The house we are renting out we actually lived in for the last 4 years so I know it pretty well

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Allen Duan
Pro Member
  • Property Manager
  • Los Angeles, CA
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Property Manager
  • Los Angeles, CA
Replied Nov 11 2022, 20:26
Quote from @Zach Fagas:

Great! Thank you.

Yes I have a team full of contractors I am an agent locally and have flipped a couple houses so I have a great team thankfully.

The house we are renting out we actually lived in for the last 4 years so I know it pretty well

Perfect! Let me know if you ever have questions about managing your MTR. Our company has been managing short term and mid term rentals in LA for about 4 years now. Happy to share.

User Stats

Votes
Bob Paxson
Pro Member
  • Flipper/Rehabber
  • Philadelphia
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Flipper/Rehabber
  • Philadelphia
Replied Nov 16 2022, 19:06
Quote from @Allen Duan:

Hi Zach,

You'll need house rules and some sort of house manual that includes check in/check out instructions and information for your home. You can build this out over time, but at the minimum they need to know how to check in =)

You also should be prepared for a post stay inspection so you can check for any damage or missing items. You may know off the top of your head what was in there before this first booking, but creating a system is always ideal.

Also, as a first time landlord, be prepared for how you'll handle maintenance issues and other issues that require boots on the ground. Are you going to go yourself to take care of things or do you have others lined up to help? Your first booking usually reveals many issues that would be hard to notice without living there yourself. 

I hope that helps! Happy to answer any questions.

Allen, do you have any examples of house rules etc to use as a template that could be  used… not sure if sharing that info would be ok just figured I ask

User Stats

Votes
Allen Duan
Pro Member
  • Property Manager
  • Los Angeles, CA
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Property Manager
  • Los Angeles, CA
Replied Nov 17 2022, 11:13

Happy to share. This may sound strict, but we have it in place so it's there if we need to enforce it. Our MTR guests are great and we rarely have issues with them. We use these rules for our STRs as well.

Welcome home! The purpose of our house rules is to ensure each guest has an amazing stay. We work hard to take care of our home, and we need your help to continue hosting many guests like you! We believe our house rules display clear expectations with our guests to encourage an honest relationship. If you have any questions, please ask!

Without further ado, here are our house rules:

- No smoking of any kind (tobacco, marijuana, vaping) allowed anywhere on the property. If you need to smoke, please go to the sidewalk area outside the property. We have a zero tolerance policy on smoking. If you smoke inside the property, your booking will be canceled and you will need to move out immediately.

- All guests must verify their identity through their booking platform or directly with the host. This includes a government photo ID and contact information.

- Check-in time is 4 pm, and check-out time is 11 am. Any early check-in or late check-out requires our approval and our ability to accommodate your request. If we are able to accommodate your request, a $25-$50 fee will be charged.

- Guests who check out late without informing the host will be charged a late check-out fee as follows: 30 minutes late = $50 I fee; more than 2 hours late = our base nightly rate before discounts. An unexpected late check out could severely affect our ability to have our home ready in time for our next guest.

- Host must be notified if there will be more guests staying overnight than the number of guests the reservation was made for.

- If you would like to host an event (i.e. birthday, wedding, etc.), please speak with us about it first. If guests are found to have had an event/party without host’s permission, guests will be responsible for extra cleaning charges, and if disruptions cause complaints guests will be asked to vacate the property immediately and your reservation will be canceled without a refund.

- Third-party bookings are not allowed unless agreed upon between the host and the guests in advance. A third-party booking is when the party making the reservation is not the party staying at the home during the reservation.

- Keep noise at dinner conversation levels and do not play loud music at any time. Please be respectful of our neighbors as we live in a small gated community. Quiet hours are 9:00 pm to 8 am.

- Pets are not allowed unless agreed upon between the host and the guests in advance.

- Please take out the trash regularly.

- Please inform the host of any damages during your stay. Damages may include stained linens and stains or spills on upholstery.

- We are not responsible or liable for any accidents, injuries, or illness that occur while on the premises.

- We are not responsible for the loss of personal belongings or valuables during your stay or any items left behind after check-out. Lock all doors in the apartment and your vehicles in the parking areas to protect your belongings.

- Observe all parking and street sweeping signs to avoid being ticketed or towed. We are not responsible for any fees you incur due to parking or towing.

- We use a doorbell camera mounted outside our front door that can only view who enters and exits the apartment. This device is in place for the safety of our guests and as a courtesy to our neighbors. Tampering with or unplugging any devices may lock you out and may also be grounds for the termination of your reservation with no refund.

User Stats

Votes
KiKi Wood
  • Indianapolis, IN
Votes |
  • Indianapolis, IN
Replied May 15 2023, 13:08

I would highly recommend making a list of house rules and general info (WiFi info, trash day, and info about any quirks in the home). We also always do a welcome basket, and make it clear to call or text us if they have any questions. 

We have a MTR in an "iffy" area, and also provided a locked box for Amazon packages to be put on the porch. That was a touch our renter loved!