Votes
Miguel Gordillo
  • New to Real Estate
Votes |
Can a landlord live in a MTR?

Miguel Gordillo
  • New to Real Estate
Posted Nov 11 2022, 17:09

Hey folks, I’m wondering if I can live on the the top/ bottom level of a home while the other half being an MTR. Is this possible?

User Stats

Votes
Mike Hern
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Scottsdale Austin Tuktoyaktuk
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Scottsdale Austin Tuktoyaktuk
Replied Nov 11 2022, 17:32
Quote from @Miguel Gordillo:

Hey folks, I’m wondering if I can live on the the top/ bottom level of a home while the other half being an MTR. Is this possible?

Sure, with the right property and the right tenants.

User Stats

Votes
Conner Olsen
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Austin, TX
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Austin, TX
Replied Nov 14 2022, 08:46

Hi Miguel, depends on Nashville laws but I assume yes. I did it in Austin, we have a 30 day minimum requirement to not be considered a STR. I lived in one side of a duplex and rented the other.

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Luka Milicevic
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Nashville, TN
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Nashville, TN
Replied Nov 14 2022, 11:19

I don't see why you wouldn't be able to, unless there are more than 3 unrelated people living in the property. 

• Real Estate Agent Tennessee (#358883)

Middle TN Home Alliance Logo

User Stats

Votes
Justin Phouasalith
  • Investor
  • Nashville, TN
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Nashville, TN
Replied Nov 15 2022, 07:29

No reason why you can't. House hacking is a thing. Unless, like Luka said, you have more than 3 unrelated people living in the property. It's a restriction from Nashville code enforcement, though there are some caveats:

Section 16.24.400—Occupancy Limits
Dwelling units shall not be occupied by more occupants than are permitted by the minimum area requirements of Table 16.24.400 of the Metropolitan Code of Laws.

https://www.nashville.gov/depa...

User Stats

Votes
Sarah Weaver
  • Rental Property Investor
  • KC, MO
Votes |
  • Rental Property Investor
  • KC, MO
Replied Nov 15 2022, 14:04

Hi Miguel! Of course, always check with local laws and ordinances first—I know that Nashville has very strict restrictions on short-term rentals, so be sure to look into any potential regulations for medium-term rentals—but otherwise, as long as you disclose the unit accurately, sure. 

Some MTR hosts even rent by the room and share the space with their tenants. Best of luck!