Tuan Huynh
  • North Hills, CA
Votes |
Mid Term Rental for Travel Nurses

Tuan Huynh
  • North Hills, CA
Posted Dec 2 2022, 11:39

Hello all!

I am looking into investing in properties dedicated to travel nurses.  I live in California and travel nurses get paid very well here.  I am looking for some advice or recommendation and would really appreciate your input.  If you are already in the mid term rental market then I would love to connect with you.  Based on my research, Los Angeles, Fresno, San Diego, and San Francisco are some of the top markets for travel nurses.   If you are in these markets, please contribute in this thread.

Thank you!

User Stats

Votes
Replied May 13 2023, 07:50
Quote from @Tuan Huynh:

Hello all!

I am looking into investing in properties dedicated to travel nurses.  I live in California and travel nurses get paid very well here.  I am looking for some advice or recommendation and would really appreciate your input.  If you are already in the mid term rental market then I would love to connect with you.  Based on my research, Los Angeles, Fresno, San Diego, and San Francisco are some of the top markets for travel nurses.   If you are in these markets, please contribute in this thread.

Thank you!

Hi Tuan, I'd like to clarify a few things.  You're statement of rates in CA for travelers are very strong...please contact me for current, up to date info on our industry.  I'm a present operating room travel nurse.

Thanks, Mitch

User Stats

Votes
Phat Vi
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Union City, CA
Votes |
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Union City, CA
Replied May 13 2023, 18:10

@Tuan Huynh It has been five months since your original post. Have you found your properties and which city did you end up investing in? Did you hire a PM to manage your MTR properties?

I am investing in Fresno and I'm interested in the MTR market as well.

Thanks,

Phat

BiggerPockets logo
Find, Vet and Invest in Syndications
|
BiggerPockets
PassivePockets will help you find sponsors, evaluate deals, and learn how to invest with confidence.

User Stats

Votes
Bonnie Low
Pro Member
#1 Medium-Term Rentals Contributor
  • Investor
  • Cottonwood, CA
Votes |
Pro Member
#1 Medium-Term Rentals Contributor
  • Investor
  • Cottonwood, CA
Replied May 14 2023, 14:57

Do you already own property in any of those markets or are you thinking of doing rental arbitrage and furnishing them for travel nurses? Those are all fairly costly markets to buy in and MTR rates, while good, wouldn't likely cover your expenses if you don't already own in those markets. Arbitrage might be a viable option for you. There are also less costly markets in CA that have strong demand from travel nurses as well as many other customer segments you can market furnished rentals to.

User Stats

Votes
R.J. Mazolewski
  • New to Real Estate
  • Orange county/LA
Votes |
  • New to Real Estate
  • Orange county/LA
Replied Nov 22 2023, 22:26

Hi Tuan,

Curious if you had made any progress/investments since the initial post?

I myself am looking into duplex/triplex MTR for traveling nurses in Orange county/LA area. What type of properties have you run numbers on?

I work in various hospitals and have some relationships I am hoping I can leverage to generate housing contracts with the hospitals. 

I know someone who has been able to get these contracts for their personal properties, sounds like it is a slam dunk! 

Would love to connect! 

User Stats

Votes
Replied Nov 22 2023, 23:21
Quote from @Tuan Huynh:
Quote from @Jack Tulloch:

Hey Tuan - I think MTR's present a great opportunity for investors. Check out this recent article posted discussing the mid term rental investing strategy! 

Why Everyone is Speaking About the Medium-Term Rental Strategy

Jack, thank you for the article.

Yes, helpful - thanks!

User Stats

Votes
Replied Nov 23 2023, 05:16

For those of you wanting to get into the "mid-term" market for travel nurses.  I am one.  Our rates are GARBAGE.  I'm going back to a local contract where I live and then to further endeavors.  The gov't has sent too much money overseas and no longer reimbursing hospitals the way they were.  Rates are half of what they were during the scamdemic.  We are required to maintain a household at home while traveling and on assignment.  Rates are 2019 levels and terrible.  CA included considering the cost of living.

User Stats

Votes
Replied Feb 28 2024, 12:29

Hello @Tuan Huynh, @Twana Rasoul @Nicholas Ardakani 

I'm hoping to post my ADU as an MTR here in Long Beach, CA. Looking into Airbnb and Furnished Finders. I'm definitely considering a lease agreement, but on the fence about running background checks, as that might turn off potential good tenants. Thoughts?

User Stats

Votes
Allen Duan
Pro Member
#3 Medium-Term Rentals Contributor
  • Property Manager
  • Los Angeles, CA
Votes |
Pro Member
#3 Medium-Term Rentals Contributor
  • Property Manager
  • Los Angeles, CA
Replied Mar 2 2024, 09:46
Quote from @Erick Ayapana:

Hello @Tuan Huynh, @Twana Rasoul @Nicholas Ardakani 

I'm hoping to post my ADU as an MTR here in Long Beach, CA. Looking into Airbnb and Furnished Finders. I'm definitely considering a lease agreement, but on the fence about running background checks, as that might turn off potential good tenants. Thoughts?

A background check should not turn away good tenants, only bad tenants. We manage many MTRs in SoCal and rarely, if ever, have a tenant complain about doing a BG check.