Skip to content
Medium-Term Rentals

User Stats

Votes
Akhil Patel
Votes |
Thoughts on managing travel nurse units out of state?

Akhil Patel
Posted Dec 14 2022, 11:59

Hi all, I currently have a duplex that would be a great candidate to rent out to travel nurses (it's right next to a large hospital). The only problem is that I'm out of state and I'm not sure how feasible it would be to manage such a unit half way across the country.

Has anyone successfully managed out of state travel nurses and is there any advice you would be able to share?

User Stats

Votes
Olivia Radziszewski
  • Realtor
  • Chicago, IL
Votes |
  • Realtor
  • Chicago, IL
Replied Dec 14 2022, 13:23

Hi- @Akhil Patel! I am in the process of doing this but know many people that do. From their experience what seems best is to acquire a long list of every possible service person that you would need. Cleaning crew, plumbers, maintenance people. This way if something comes up you have multiple people to reach out to to get it fixed in a timely manner for your guest! Good luck!

User Stats

Votes
Chris Allen
Pro Member
  • Temple, TX
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Temple, TX
Replied Dec 14 2022, 20:20
Quote from @Akhil Patel:

Hi all, I currently have a duplex that would be a great candidate to rent out to travel nurses (it's right next to a large hospital). The only problem is that I'm out of state and I'm not sure how feasible it would be to manage such a unit half way across the country.

Has anyone successfully managed out of state travel nurses and is there any advice you would be able to share?

I manage out of state STR's as well as a local one as well. It is very feasible. The most important person you need to find is a cleaner; with a MTR, they won't be going into the property as often, but they should be able to help you will different "boot's on the ground" things like taking over supplies, taking out trash, replacing bulbs, batteries, etc.. If they are not willing to do basic things like that, just look around for a local handyman or find a cleaner that will.

For all of the other things like plumbers, HVAC, electrical, etc.. you will use these people much less often, so a quick google search is usually okay, or take recommendations from your cleaner and/or handyman.  

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes