Skip to content
Medium-Term Rentals

User Stats

Votes
Wendy Lacey
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Lakeland, FL (lakeland)
Votes |
Do Mid-Term Rentals require Vacation Rental - Dwelling License?

Wendy Lacey
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Lakeland, FL (lakeland)
Posted Jan 4 2023, 19:03

I have two properties I am planning to rent as mid-term (30 day minimum) rentals with intent to market to travel nurses/digital nomads. Do these mid term rentals need the Vacation Rental - Dwelling License? 

User Stats

Votes
Katherine Serrell
  • Investor
  • Raleigh
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Raleigh
Replied Jan 5 2023, 06:56
Hi Wendy! Great question it depends on your city. Some will say 30 days or less requires a vacation/short-term rental permit and/or the property might not be in the correct zoning for vacation/short-term rentals.

That being said, you would need the lease to be 31 days instead of 30 days and you would follow your state and local municipality’s tenant-landlord laws. So, in lieu of a vacation/short-term license, you would follow whatever local guidelines there are for landlords such as getting a generic business license (like $50/year in my area). 

User Stats

Votes
Simmy Ahluwalia
Pro Member
  • Lender
  • Atlanta, GA
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Lender
  • Atlanta, GA
Replied Jan 5 2023, 08:26

@Wendy Lacey - what Katherine said:) Also, once you go over 30 days on an STR rental, I believe it's classified as an LTR. So, you "might" have to have a fixed lease in place for anything over and/or just make sure your MT leases are for 30 days or less. Check with your municipality on those guidelines.

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes