• Investor
  • DFW
Votes |
AIrbnb booking to lease request.

Steve Garcia
  • Investor
  • DFW
Posted Jan 24 2023, 14:34

Hi! I recently received my first booking on Airbnb for a 31 day stay. The guest is relocating from out of state and is currently in the market to buy a home. That being said they want to extend their stay with a lease agreement and not through Airbnb. I imagine this route is more cost effective to avoid paying the platform fee. Does anyone have experience with this? My current thought process is to create a month-to-month lease with a security deposit. Should the potential tenant be vetted in addition to the vetting Airbnb does for guests? 

User Stats

Votes
Kyle Momany
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Tampa, FL
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Tampa, FL
Replied Jan 24 2023, 21:09

I'd still do a background check or income verification of some sort. When we put our house up for Mid-Term in the off season, we always have the tenant fill out a verification application. 

There are a million different website that can do it for you including zillow, rentredi, etc.

Hope this helps!

User Stats

Votes
Mike Hern
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Scottsdale Austin Tuktoyaktuk
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Scottsdale Austin Tuktoyaktuk
Replied Jan 24 2023, 21:48
Quote from @Steve Garcia:

Hi! I recently received my first booking on Airbnb for a 31 day stay. The guest is relocating from out of state and is currently in the market to buy a home. That being said they want to extend their stay with a lease agreement and not through Airbnb. I imagine this route is more cost effective to avoid paying the platform fee. Does anyone have experience with this? My current thought process is to create a month-to-month lease with a security deposit. Should the potential tenant be vetted in addition to the vetting Airbnb does for guests? 

If the stay is 30 days or more it may actually be subject to long term rental landlord tenant law. That would mean following the laws regarding normal tenants. You should check with a local landlord attorney. It doesn't necessarily make it bad, it just makes it very different.
BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Steve Garcia
  • Investor
  • DFW
Votes |
  • Investor
  • DFW
Replied Jan 25 2023, 06:57

@Kyle Momany and @Mike Hern thanks for the advice! I have the home listed on Furnished Finder as well so I have access to KeyCheck for the screening process. 

User Stats

Votes
Nicole Heasley Beitenman
Pro Member
#5 Medium-Term Rentals Contributor
  • Lender
  • Youngstown, OH
Votes |
Pro Member
#5 Medium-Term Rentals Contributor
  • Lender
  • Youngstown, OH
Replied Jan 25 2023, 07:58

I'm confused. You said they want to "extend their stay." Are they already in one of your units? Or are they looking to extend a booking already placed but not yet executed?

User Stats

Votes
Steve Garcia
  • Investor
  • DFW
Votes |
  • Investor
  • DFW
Replied Jan 25 2023, 08:01

They booked a 31 day stay via Airbnb and are currently in the unit. They want to extend, but prefer to do so by signing a lease with me directly vs Airbnb. I am assuming to save cost from the platform fee. They are house hunting now so they will need more time than what they currently booked for. 

User Stats

Votes
Conner Olsen
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Austin, TX
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Austin, TX
Replied Jan 25 2023, 11:38
Quote from @Steve Garcia:

Personally I like staying on platform so I know they'll pay me and have Aircover just in case. Also make sure you do not message them on Airbnb to discuss renting off Airbnb. You'll get blocked and delisted on Airbnb.

User Stats

Votes
Steve Garcia
  • Investor
  • DFW
Votes |
  • Investor
  • DFW
Replied Jan 25 2023, 11:41

@Conner Olsen thanks as always! 

User Stats

Votes
Michael Porche
  • Real Estate Coach
  • Boise, ID
Votes |
  • Real Estate Coach
  • Boise, ID
Replied Jan 25 2023, 16:58

It is understandable that you would want to explore other options to make sure your guest can continue their stay with a lease agreement and save on the Airbnb platform fees. 

However, I agree with the other commentators. It is definitely important to vet potential tenants in addition to what Airbnb does for its guests. This could include conducting a background check, financial history, reviewing credit reports, and ensuring references are valid.

Creating a month-to-month lease with a security deposit is a great option as it allows flexibility for both parties. Depending on the state you live in and the specific terms of the lease agreement, you may need to give 30 days notice before ending or terminating the lease agreement.

• Real Estate Agent Idaho (#SP51160)

RY Capital Logo