• Rental Property Investor
  • Hollywood, FL
Votes |
Investing in Houston

Stevenson Alexis
  • Hollywood, FL
Posted May 24 2023, 21:35

Looking to invest In the Houston Area for small multi family 2-4 units for medium/short term rentals… any houstonians out there doing the same? How are your medium term rentals performing?

User Stats

Votes
Jamie Banks
Pro Member
#1 Medium-Term Rentals Contributor
  • Real Estate Consultant
  • Reston, VA
Votes |
Pro Member
#1 Medium-Term Rentals Contributor
  • Real Estate Consultant
  • Reston, VA
Replied May 25 2023, 02:24

Hi Stevenson,
I’m not (yet) a Houston investor but I was down in the area last week looking at houses / areas for MTRs. Because the city is so large I would suggest being very intentional with finding a property that meets your ideal customer type. For instance, if you want to rent to traveling medical professionals make sure to buy near Texas Children’s Hospital or another Level 1 trauma center. If you plan to target digital nomads make sure you’re in one of the downtown areas with plenty to do. 

User Stats

Votes
Eliott Elias#3 BRRRR - Buy, Rehab, Rent, Refinance, Repeat Contributor
  • Investor
  • Austin, TX
Votes |
Eliott Elias#3 BRRRR - Buy, Rehab, Rent, Refinance, Repeat Contributor
  • Investor
  • Austin, TX
Replied May 25 2023, 03:33

Your performance is heavily dependent on the area in which you invest in. I am personally staying away from short term and mid term rentals right now.

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
V.G Jason
Pro Member
Votes |
Pro Member
Replied May 25 2023, 03:40

To cash flow, almost investor agent will prescribe STR in 3rd ward due to convenience in location. Or MTR/FF in same area for medical center attractiveness.

For that reason, I've steered clear. I've picked up a few properties in gentrified areas that are actually cash flowing cause I underestimated rent. I've also picked up some properties in mid town that have a ton of college graduates attention. I'm aiming to add some duplexes -quadplexes but getting stuck with negotiations.

You won't get rich quick here, this a long game. But seems like one of the best cities for that.

User Stats

Votes
Joel Allen
  • San Antonio, TX (Lender in TX and SC)
Votes |
  • San Antonio, TX (Lender in TX and SC)
Replied May 25 2023, 07:42

@Stevenson Alexis

If you’re interested in the Houston area, I’d recommend connecting with @Taj Akinbode

He’s a great investor-focused Realtor in Houston and is also active here on BP.

User Stats

Votes
Karl McGarvey
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Houston, TX
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Houston, TX
Replied May 25 2023, 08:39
Quote from @Stevenson Alexis:

Looking to invest In the Houston Area for small multi family 2-4 units for medium/short term rentals… any houstonians out there doing the same? How are your medium term rentals performing?

I would talk to @Holly Kaufman. She and I have been working together for a few years, helping people start and grow their portfolios in Houston. She has a MTR inside the 610 loop which performs incredibly well.

User Stats

Votes
Taj Akinbode
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Investor-Friendly Agent| Serving Houston, TX - And Surrounding Areas
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Investor-Friendly Agent| Serving Houston, TX - And Surrounding Areas
Replied May 25 2023, 13:52

@Stevenson Alexis

I'll be happy to connect with you to further discuss your investment plans. Areas around Texas Medical Center is worth looking into and there are other pockets as well. I have messaged you directly. 

@Joel Allen Thank you for your recommendation. 
@Stevenson Alexis@Stevenson Alexis

User Stats

Votes
Hayden Harrington
  • Investor
  • Houston, TX
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Houston, TX
Replied May 26 2023, 09:54

Stick to the suburbs in my opinion. Have lived in Houston for 20 years and own large multifamily deals here. Inside the beltway is likely going to be more challenging than something outside. It'll be harder to find, but worth the effort if you can. Houston has a decent amount of crime and delinquency, so picking your location is key.