Benjamin Sures
Pro Member
Votes |
Rental unit wear and tear

Benjamin Sures
Pro Member
Posted Jan 13 2024, 18:22

Howdy BPer's,

My wife and I just finished hosting our first tenants in our MTR.  Really nice folks, however there was some very minor areas of abuse that we noticed; missing sheet, pen stain on the comforter.  

How nit picky do y'all get with things like this?   Should I have them pay for these items?  I feel like big ticket things, say something over $200, that break are expected to be reimbursed, but want to know what you're doing?

User Stats

Votes
Bonnie Low
Pro Member
#1 Medium-Term Rentals Contributor
  • Investor
  • Cottonwood, CA
Votes |
Pro Member
#1 Medium-Term Rentals Contributor
  • Investor
  • Cottonwood, CA
Replied Jan 13 2024, 19:14

You will have normal wear and tear and it can be frustrating. People get comfortable after they've been there for a while so they do things like drink coffee in bed and get drips on the comforter. It's not uncommon to have missing items, though that happens in STRs all the time. I just had someone pack up the cord to my pancake griddle because they thought it was theirs (!) I expect a certain amount of deep cleaning and restocking of some items when I do an MTR turn. Light colored towels and linens will probably suffer the most abuse. Your security deposit should cover larger items. Any individual item below $50 I don't call out if they've been good guests. Accidents happen and sometimes things wear out or break.

User Stats

Votes
Allen Duan
Pro Member
#3 Medium-Term Rentals Contributor
  • Property Manager
  • Los Angeles, CA
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Property Manager
  • Los Angeles, CA
Replied Jan 15 2024, 21:38

This sounds very normal for a MTR stay. Just deduct it from the deposit and move on. I don't think that's nit picky at all. No reason for you to eat the cost.

BiggerPockets logo
Find, Vet and Invest in Syndications
|
BiggerPockets
PassivePockets will help you find sponsors, evaluate deals, and learn how to invest with confidence.

User Stats

Votes
Heather Loyal
Pro Member
Votes |
Pro Member
Replied Jan 16 2024, 07:36
Quote from @Allen Duan:

This sounds very normal for a MTR stay. Just deduct it from the deposit and move on. I don't think that's nit picky at all. No reason for you to eat the cost.

Do you use an inventory software?  And is there verbiage in your contract about current replacement costs?  I bought most of my MTR material Black Friday 2022 and today's price is higher, of course.

User Stats

Votes
Benjamin Sures
Pro Member
Votes |
Pro Member
Replied Jan 16 2024, 09:20
Quote from @Heather Loyal:
Quote from @Allen Duan:

No I dont currently use an inventory software.

Do you use an inventory software?  And is there verbiage in your contract about current replacement costs?  I bought most of my MTR material Black Friday 2022 and today's price is higher, of course.

This unit was MTR'd off of airbnb.

User Stats

Votes
Allen Duan
Pro Member
  • Property Manager
  • Los Angeles, CA
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Property Manager
  • Los Angeles, CA
Replied Jan 16 2024, 09:51
Quote from @Heather Loyal:
Quote from @Allen Duan:

We have checklists set up in Breezeway. No item costs detailed ahead of time, we just provide receipts for replacement items if needed. It doesn’t matter what you paid for the items, it’s the replacement cost that you would use.