Skip to content
Legal & Legislation

User Stats

Votes
Justin Summers
  • Baltimore, MD
Votes |
odd question about if my Marketing plan for my new rental property is Discriminatory

Justin Summers
  • Baltimore, MD
Posted Mar 11 2023, 17:10

I purchased a one level 2 bedroom property and I plan to renovate the property and make it handicapped accessable  (Grab bars, lower countertop highth, wider doorways, ect.. I also plan to rent the property out under our county section 8 / voucher program. The housing authority pays 20% more if one of the occupants is disabled. So, since this is the perfect place for disabled or handicapped person. Can I market it directly to disabled/handicapped? Can I deny someone that qualifies but isn't disabled? I guess what I'm asking is it discrimatory if I'm only looking to rent to someone that is disabled?

User Stats

Votes
Russell Brazil
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Washington, D.C.
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Washington, D.C.
ModeratorReplied Mar 11 2023, 18:59
Quote from @Justin Summers:

I purchased a one level 2 bedroom property and I plan to renovate the property and make it handicapped accessable  (Grab bars, lower countertop highth, wider doorways, ect.. I also plan to rent the property out under our county section 8 / voucher program. The housing authority pays 20% more if one of the occupants is disabled. So, since this is the perfect place for disabled or handicapped person. Can I market it directly to disabled/handicapped? Can I deny someone that qualifies but isn't disabled? I guess what I'm asking is it discrimatory if I'm only looking to rent to someone that is disabled?

You can advertise it as being handicapped accessible.

You can not turn down someone who is qualified but not disabled.
District Invest Group Logo

User Stats

Votes
Justin Summers
  • Baltimore, MD
Votes |
  • Baltimore, MD
Replied Mar 12 2023, 09:46
Quote from @Russell Brazil:
Quote from @Justin Summers:

You can advertise it as being handicapped accessible.

You can not turn down someone who is qualified but not disabled.

Thanks Russell.. That is pretty much what I thought.

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes