Legal & Legislation

User Stats

Votes
Qais Attarwala
Votes |
Can I rent out SFH with an ADU?

Qais Attarwala
Posted Jan 20 2024, 12:00

Hi I am planning to buy a property in West Columbia, SC and I wanted to know if other investors in that area have experience with renting out an SFH with an ADU? Can I rent out both to different tenants? Does the ADU have to be owner-occupied? Are there any pitfalls or advice you can give me about this scenario?

Thanks!

User Stats

Votes
Theresa Harris
Pro Member
#2 Managing Your Property Contributor
Votes |
Pro Member
Replied Jan 20 2024, 12:09

As long as the ADU is legal (and even then some still would), you can rent both separately. Make it clear in your leases who has access to what spaces (parking, yard), who is responsible for what space (ie lawn) and how the utilities will work. Are the utilities on separate meters? Is there laundry in each unit or is it shared?

User Stats

Votes
Kevin Johnson
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Columbia, SC
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Columbia, SC
Replied Jan 20 2024, 12:23
Quote from @Qais Attarwala:

Hi I am planning to buy a property in West Columbia, SC and I wanted to know if other investors in that area have experience with renting out an SFH with an ADU? Can I rent out both to different tenants? Does the ADU have to be owner-occupied? Are there any pitfalls or advice you can give me about this scenario?

Thanks!

Absolutely!  I've seen this a lot, both short-term and long-term rentals.  If you need any help on the acquisition side let me know!

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Qais Attarwala
Votes |
Replied Jan 23 2024, 06:35
Quote from @Theresa Harris:

As long as the ADU is legal (and even then some still would), you can rent both separately. Make it clear in your leases who has access to what spaces (parking, yard), who is responsible for what space (ie lawn) and how the utilities will work. Are the utilities on separate meters? Is there laundry in each unit or is it shared?

@Theresa Harris the power is on different meters but I think the water meter is shared between the ADU and the house. Do you think this would be an issue? There is a laundry in each unit.

User Stats

Votes
Kevin Johnson
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Columbia, SC
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Columbia, SC
Replied Jan 23 2024, 06:42

@Theresa Harris the power is on different meters but I think the water meter is shared between the ADU and the house. Do you think this would be an issue? There is a laundry in each unit.

My recommendation would be to pay for that specific utility if the meter is shared.  It would be impossible to split the cost evenly between the tenants...  you may be able to set a slightly higher rental rate for including utilities as well!

User Stats

Votes
Theresa Harris
Pro Member
Votes |
Pro Member
Replied Jan 23 2024, 06:49

If the water meter is shared, you have two options: 1) include water in the rent (add a buffer as tenants tend to use more if they aren't paying) or 2) split the water between the two units. If you split it, do it based on the number of people in each unit. So if there are 2 people living in the house and 1 in the ADU, 67% of the bill is charged to the house and 33% to the ADU. Every time you get the bill, you let each know how much they owe and they can add that to next month's rent. I have a couple of places where the tenants can't get the water in their name (rules from the water company), so I get the bill every 3 months, let them know how much it is, and they add it to the next rent.

User Stats

Votes
Qais Attarwala
Votes |
Replied Jan 30 2024, 08:01

How do I find out if the ADU is legal/permitted? Do I just contact my county accessor? Do I have to request blueprints of the home and as long as the blueprints contain the ADU should I be safe? If I have the seller say in writing that the ADU was legally built (and I think according to my county rules it has to have been legally built prior to 2004 for it to be a legal dwelling unit) does that protect me?

Thank you in advance. 

User Stats

Votes
Theresa Harris
Pro Member
Votes |
Pro Member
Replied Jan 30 2024, 17:06

How do I find out if the ADU is legal/permitted? Do I just contact my county accessor? Do I have to request blueprints of the home and as long as the blueprints contain the ADU should I be safe? If I have the seller say in writing that the ADU was legally built (and I think according to my county rules it has to have been legally built prior to 2004 for it to be a legal dwelling unit) does that protect me?

Thank you in advance. 

Check with the town hall.  There should be a permit.

User Stats

Votes
Kevin Johnson
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Columbia, SC
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Columbia, SC
Replied Jan 31 2024, 13:13

Thank you in advance. 

The county will have records of any permits that have been filed for a property!  Check with them for confirmation  :)