Michael M Tingen
  • Los Angeles, CA
Votes |
Sourcing Property Owner Information

Michael M Tingen
  • Los Angeles, CA
Posted Jun 27 2022, 21:35

Hi there Wholesale Investors!,

My wife and I, both architects by day, are taking a deep dive into wholesaling and are aiming to start pursuing deals this July. We will be aggressively pursuing single and multi-family properties. 

We have some experience doing this in the DC area as well. However, I noticed that in DC it's really easy to locate property owner info simply by looking at the online property tax records. These don't seem to be as readily available in L.A. County. 

So my question is: How/ where do you search for property owners names/ information. Are there public records that are readily available online? If not, are there private services in LA that can provide this info for a fee?

Thank you so much for any and insights! 

User Stats

Votes
Steven Baltimore
  • United States
Votes |
  • United States
Replied Jun 27 2022, 22:20

Most wholesalers use propstream and skip trace from that platform to gain additional information such as phone numbers and emails.

User Stats

Votes
Basit Siddiqi
Pro Member
#3 Tax, SDIRAs & Cost Segregation Contributor
  • Accountant
  • New York, NY
Votes |
Pro Member
#3 Tax, SDIRAs & Cost Segregation Contributor
  • Accountant
  • New York, NY
Replied Jun 30 2022, 12:40

I have one question - Why Wholesaling?

You mention in your post that you and your wife are both architects.
You both also live in a High Cost of Living Area in Los Angeles.

I personally think you both would be better off moonlighting as architects than to become wholesalers.

You both know wholesaling and your hourly rate earned as a architect is likely $100+
Being a wholesaler - your earnings and experience are unknown.

The extra income you earn through moonlighting can go towards the downpayments of future real estate purchases.

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Michael M Tingen
  • Los Angeles, CA
Votes |
  • Los Angeles, CA
Replied Jun 30 2022, 14:46
Quote from @Basit Siddiqi:

I have one question - Why Wholesaling?

You mention in your post that you and your wife are both architects.
You both also live in a High Cost of Living Area in Los Angeles.

I personally think you both would be better off moonlighting as architects than to become wholesalers.

You both know wholesaling and your hourly rate earned as a architect is likely $100+
Being a wholesaler - your earnings and experience are unknown.

The extra income you earn through moonlighting can go towards the downpayments of future real estate purchases.

Thank you for your interesting, albeit unrelated, question. If you have any insights regarding my original question - how to find owner names for residential properties in LA county - I'd be very grateful to them. Thanks again! 

User Stats

Votes
Chris Seveney
Pro Member
#1 All Forums Contributor
  • Investor
  • Virginia
Votes |
Pro Member
#1 All Forums Contributor
  • Investor
  • Virginia
Replied Jun 30 2022, 15:15

@Michael M Tingen

Datatree or Propstream are two used very often

User Stats

Votes
Renee Harris
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Los Angeles, CA
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Los Angeles, CA
Replied Jun 30 2022, 22:07

Reach out to a Title company and ask them in exchange for bringing deals to them if they'll let you have access to title pulls. you'll still need the phone numbers, but truepeople is good enough.