Real Estate Wholesaling Questions & Answers

User Stats

Votes

Contractor estimate wholesale houses

Posted Aug 10 2022, 17:43

Hi everyone, I'm wholesaling in Boston, MA and there is a question that I haven't find an answer to. I'm willing to pay a contractor to estimate the repair costs for the house, but will the contractor keep estimating my future wholesale houses or they think it's a waste of time just because I won't hire him to do the job?

Thanks in advance.

Boston, Massachusetts

User Stats

Votes
Lien Vuong
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Boston, MA
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Boston, MA
Replied Aug 12 2022, 16:40

He can pay a GC to walk a project with you for the estimate but not everytime, you can get an idea of construction at that point. 

User Stats

Votes
Joe Gonzalez
  • Wholesaler
  • Houston, TX
Votes |
  • Wholesaler
  • Houston, TX
Replied Aug 13 2022, 05:21

I would speak with the contractor an explain that your business model only involves putting together a scope of work and potential estimates for your partners. I would then mention that he would always be compensated for his time.

It pays to be transparent!

User Stats

Votes
Jerryll Noorden#1 Real Estate Wholesaling Questions & Answers Contributor
  • Flipper/Rehabber
  • Wilton, CT
Votes |
Jerryll Noorden#1 Real Estate Wholesaling Questions & Answers Contributor
  • Flipper/Rehabber
  • Wilton, CT
Replied Aug 16 2022, 15:14
Quote from @Eduardo Wagmacker:

Hi everyone, I'm wholesaling in Boston, MA and there is a question that I haven't find an answer to. I'm willing to pay a contractor to estimate the repair costs for the house, but will the contractor keep estimating my future wholesale houses or they think it's a waste of time just because I won't hire him to do the job?

Thanks in advance.

Keep this in mind.

A contractor doesn't make money from giving estimates. They make money by keeping his workers active with jobs so he can complete multiple jobs/month. Paying for an estimate does nothing for the contractor. He is not even breaking even. So he loses money for the trouble of preparing an offer. Hours goes into that and this doesn't keep his men working.

Go to sires like homeadvisor and do a search for any job. The site will show you what others in your area have paid for similar jobs. That is a good way to start getting a feel for what the Cost of repairs is for any job.

User Stats

Votes
Replied Aug 22 2022, 08:03

Hey I’m a GC in Boston & I honestly wouldn’t mind doing walk throughs with you to give estimates on properties as long as I’m fairly compensated for my work.