Skip to content
Wholesaling

User Stats

Votes
Michael Serna
Votes |
Do I need a license to wholesale in California?

Michael Serna
Posted Feb 3 2023, 14:49

I've asked dozens of sources including the dre, and multiple attorneys, and investors. But I keep getting different answers. So if anyone know for sure if a real estate license is required to legally wholesale in California.

User Stats

Votes
Bryant Brislin
Pro Member
  • Wholesaler
  • Irvine, CA
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Wholesaler
  • Irvine, CA
Replied Feb 3 2023, 15:05

No, you don't.  Not  yet.

Cash Source Homes Logo

User Stats

Votes
Jeff Copeland
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Tampa Bay/St Petersburg, FL
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Tampa Bay/St Petersburg, FL
Replied Feb 3 2023, 15:07

It depends on what you mean by "legally wholesale".

Can you negotiate with a seller in good faith, get a property under contract, and then assign that contract to another buyer? Yes. 

According to California Code, Business and Professions Code - BPC § 10131, California requires a license for the following:

"a person who, for a compensation or in expectation of a compensation, regardless of the form or time of payment, does or negotiates to do one or more of the following acts for another or others:

(a) Sells or offers to sell, buys or offers to buy, solicits prospective sellers or buyers of, solicits or obtains listings of, or negotiates the purchase, sale, or exchange of real property or a business opportunity.

(b) Leases or rents or offers to lease or rent, or places for rent, or solicits listings of places for rent, or solicits for prospective tenants, or negotiates the sale, purchase, or exchanges of leases on real property, or on a business opportunity, or collects rents from real property, or improvements thereon, or from business opportunities.

(c) Assists or offers to assist in filing an application for the purchase or lease of, or in locating or entering upon, lands owned by the state or federal government.

(d) Solicits borrowers or lenders for or negotiates loans or collects payments or performs services for borrowers or lenders or note owners in connection with loans secured directly or collaterally by liens on real property or on a business opportunity.

(e) Sells or offers to sell, buys or offers to buy, or exchanges or offers to exchange a real property sales contract, or a promissory note secured directly or collaterally by a lien on real property or on a business opportunity, and performs services for the holders thereof."

• Broker FL (#BK3326487)

Copeland Morgan LLC Logo
Rent To Retirement logo
Rent To Retirement
|
Sponsored
Turnkey Rentals 12+ States. SFR, MF & New Builds, High ROI! 3.99% rates, 5% down loans, below market prices across the US! Txt REI to 33777

User Stats

Votes
Michael Serna
Votes |
Replied Feb 3 2023, 15:27
Quote from @Bryant Brislin:

No, you don't.  Not  yet.

Thank you for your response. Are you currently wholesaling in California without a license?

User Stats

Votes
Replied Feb 3 2023, 18:10

It's more than likely coming......the last 4 years or so wholesaling has been flooded with unprofessional people who come from tik toks and youtube looking for "quick cash", easy money, etc. However, they don't realize it's a business with ethics and serious implications of dealing with properties and large amounts of money. And with them being unethical and unprofessional is only speeding up regulations and license required. 

User Stats

Votes
Bryant Brislin
Pro Member
  • Wholesaler
  • Irvine, CA
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Wholesaler
  • Irvine, CA
Replied Feb 6 2023, 07:22

@Michael Serna I'm mostly doing Texas, but I have done some CA, and I just disclose on the contract something to the effect of "Buyer is a licensed real estate agent (DRE No. xxxxxx), but is acting as a principal for profit on this transaction."

Cash Source Homes Logo