3 agent commission split?

2 Replies

I totally hijacked some poor guys post, so I want to get some fresh opinions on this.

So I have a HUD deal I'm wholesaling, an agent brings her client to the deal wanting 5k that the buyer has agreed to pay ( her commission at 3% would have been $4500).

What is best legal, most ethical way to structure this. What documents or wording in the contract should be included?

I answered this on the original thread, but I think this is the way it would usually work:

There are two transactions, right? HUD to you, you to the end buyer.

On the first transaction, HUD listing agent gets 3% and your agent gets 3%.

On the second, your agent gets 3% and the buyers agent gets 3%.

Unless you come to a different arrangement with your agent, since I gather he never actually listed the house?

You should also be aware that in my state, that sale is two transfers, and therefore transfer tax is due twice. I don't know about your state obviously.

If her buyer agreed to pay the $5k, then let him pay it, to your agent's broker, on the HUD. This assumes she's collecting her fee "as an agent". If she wants it direct, then she'd be a "partner" with you, and you'd raise your price $5k, pay her $5k for her "split". She could be running into some legal issues that way, but that's her problem, if she's trying to side step her broker.

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.