Driving for dollars

13 Replies

Ok BP so I have been driving for dollars. For the most part things have been going well, with the exception of a few road blocks. I found two properties with all the right signs of an absentee owner. I take both addresses down and later tried to locate the owners through the county tax assessors site. To no avail, I came up empty handed. What to do next is why I'm here. HELP!!! 

I love driving for dollars. Don't have a deal from it, but only because I couldn't find a buyer locally before I got them under contract.

What do you mean you tried to locate them through the tax website to no avail?

I plugged in the address but the info on the property is not listed as if the property doesn't exist. I was wondering what to do for absentee properties that doesn't come up on the tax site.

Some sites let you do a search without the #.  just using the street name.  Then you can see a listing of all the addresses on that street, and then pick the one you think is your subject property.  Also, there are usually multiple ways to search for properties in a county.  Try *** county property records in google.  it's not always the county appraisal district site that gives the best info.  Sometimes the county assessor's office is separate.  sometimes 3rd party websites have the data.

I'm just getting started and I didn't want to overwhelm myself so I have been sticking to my targeted area, which is Fayette county. Eventually I may venture off so I will add these sites to my notes. Thanks

ah i just guessed from the atlanta, georgia above your picture. 

You can see what typs of sites to look for

Most Georgia counties use qpublic.net as their tax assessor site.  If you click on "show parcel map" for a known address on the street you're looking on.  Once you see the map, you can scroll around until you find the parcel you're interested in.  Once its selected, there will be some numbers on the right that are hyperlinked next to the words "selected parcel".  Click on the hyperlink and that will take you back to the tax info for that parcel.  They are supposed to have a name and address for all owners.  As far as I know, all Georgia counties have free access to tax assessor websites.

If you can't figure out who it belongs to from the tax assessor site, the next step is to look up the liens, warranty deeds and/or security deeds against the property and see who's listed.  Just google "Superior Court Clerk" and the county name.  In my county, I can access the court clerk's records for free.  The Atlanta counties charge you for access to the court clerk's online records (which is bogus, IMO, I get them free 100 miles south).  The website is: http://apps.gsccca.org/pt61efiling/PT61.asp But double check that you have to pay, you may not, it's been awhile since I poked around in the ATL area.  

Worst case, walk yourself down to the court house and ask to see the records, once you get the plat information from the tax assessor site.

Good luck!

Fayette county has the most complicated qpublic site I've ever seen. Still, you can find the info needed if you just keep "piddling" with it! Search the map, instead of addresses. Sometimes simply googling or binging an address will produce some info. Keep digging! Never stop digging.

Another good method would be to talk to the neighbors

@Avery Gilmer , talking to neighbors must be for extroverts, because that is something I have never actually considered.  Occam's Razor, baby!  The simplest answer is usually the best.....but then you'd have to talk people (shudder).

Originally posted by @Luther McIntosh :

Ok BP so I have been driving for dollars. For the most part things have been going well, with the exception of a few road blocks. I found two properties with all the right signs of an absentee owner. I take both addresses down and later tried to locate the owners through the county tax assessors site. To no avail, I came up empty handed. What to do next is why I'm here. HELP!!! 

Most locals on the east coast have the water bill connected directly to the property, though I'm not sure about the county of the subject property that you're looking into. In Philly an option is going down to the municipal building to see where the water bills are/were sent. I t can secure a last known address. Postal tracers are another option along with googling the owner's name and start with the state where the subj property is located as a starting point. 

Another is to follow the liens, if applicable. Pull the title on the property(try protitleusa.com - I am not an employee or the likes of). Maybe you can buy it as a LPN/NPN from the bank. My coin.

Kudos,

Mary

thanks everyone for all of the feedback. The power of BP is outstanding.

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here