Do I need a business license in San Diego for wholesaling?

4 Replies

I know you need a Real Estate License to sell a house but I will not be acting as an agent. I will only be assigning contracts to investors. 

San Diego wholesalers my question again: Do I need a business license to assign a contract to a buyer? If so what is the process? Do I need to register a FBN and then a Business license and under what description my business will be?  I will appreciate you guys honest responses thank you. 

As long as the properties you buy and sell are your own, you do not need a license. 

It's only when you're working on behalf of another buyer or seller (which would classify you as their "agent") that you need a license. 

Most investors don't have a license because everything we buy and sell is for ourselves.

You don’t need a business license to buy and sell real estate. Karen’s answer above references a real estate license and is completely different from a business license.

That said, if you plan to assign a contract and in doing so, advertise the property (or the contract) for sale, you would technically be operating without a real estate license which is not legal in CA and many other states. If you plan to be a wholesaler, get your real estate license.

Originally posted by @Will Barnard :

You don’t need a business license to buy and sell real estate. Karen’s answer above references a real estate license and is completely different from a business license.

That said, if you plan to assign a contract and in doing so, advertise the property (or the contract) for sale, you would technically be operating without a real estate license which is not legal in CA and many other states. If you plan to be a wholesaler, get your real estate license.

Thank you for your thorough reply. I will have a license agent in my team who will be advertising the property in my behalf. I just wasn’t sure of the business license.. I’m planning in getting the business license in the future as my business grow.

Originally posted by @Karen Rittenhouse :

As long as the properties you buy and sell are your own, you do not need a license. 

It's only when you're working on behalf of another buyer or seller (which would classify you as their "agent") that you need a license. 

Most investors don't have a license because everything we buy and sell is for ourselves.

Thank you Karen. 

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here