Need advice on murder-suicide house

4 Replies

So we had a murder-suicide this week in our community. A mother and her daughter were killed by the mothers bf. The mother owns the home free and clear. Shes the only one on title and no liens. How would I go about trying to get this house? I believe there is a younger sibling but Im not sure if there are more. Would the home go through probate still? Where should I start of I choose to pursue this home.

@Jerika Soyars

I have a suspicion the property may go to probate. It is free and clear, so now its an asset. If there was no will, the city or state would try to find a next of kin. It may take months, it may take years. I would just religiously be on the look out for the property to see if it comes up on auctions or get in contact with local wholesalers to see if someone was found and the person wants to sell it.

In the meantime, look out for other wedge deals.

@Jerika Soyars If you are really interested then you need to find any relatives of the deceased owner just like with any other probate. You should be able to do aff of heirship indtead of going through the probate process depending on if deceased has many relatives or just a few. Be careful approaching these relatives, I imagine this is an emotional time for them.

Promotion
BiggerPockets
The one-stop-shop for REI
Find Local Home Improvement Pros!
Check out our network of trusted, local contractors for all of your home improvement projects.
Find a Contractor

@Jerika Soyars If you are really interested then you need to find any relatives of the deceased owner just like with any other probate. You should be able to do aff of heirship indtead of going through the probate process depending on if deceased has many relatives or just a few. Be careful approaching these relatives, I imagine this is an emotional time for them.

You can start by requesting the death certificate here:

http://www.floridahealth.gov/c...

or your local county government office.

Whomever filled it out will be your first point of contact. (Any additional relative, friend, ex-spouse, etc)

If no relatives are located the PA (Public Administrator) for the county will follow the state probate proceedings guidelines.

Good luck @Jerika Soyars