Skip to content
Wholesaling

User Stats

Votes
Dana Burns
Votes |
What can I expect repair cost to be for house vacant 10 years?

Dana Burns
Posted Sep 26 2019, 19:49

I’m meeting with seller and I want make a offer that’s appropriate and I’m kind of unsure about repair cost. Thanks you guys!

User Stats

Votes
Greg Dickerson#2 Land & New Construction Contributor
  • Developer
  • Charlottesville, VA
Votes |
Greg Dickerson#2 Land & New Construction Contributor
  • Developer
  • Charlottesville, VA
Replied Sep 27 2019, 03:29

All depends on the condition. Best thing is to have a contractor look at the property with you: 

User Stats

Votes
Lydia R.#4 Wholesaling Contributor
  • Wholesaler
  • Austin TX
Votes |
  • Wholesaler
  • Austin TX
Replied Sep 27 2019, 05:41

@Dana Burns Repair cost is kind of a big deal. I would definitely suggest you take a lot of pics when you see the property or if you have enough time arrange for a contractor to come with you so he can walk the property and talk to you about what repairs are needed.

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Michael Bruno
  • Flipper/Rehabber
  • Easton, PA
Votes |
  • Flipper/Rehabber
  • Easton, PA
Replied Sep 27 2019, 06:15

@Dana Burns I really think that it depends on the area/market that the property is located. If I'd is a D neighborhood, then you won't be turning it into a house that belongs in A neighborhood. Or the opposite. It will also depend on the most recent updates to the bigger ticket items (roof, furnace, windows) If it has been vacant for ten years, I would imagine that they would all need to be updated. That would be quite costly. Also, if the roof has been leaking and the house has experienced water damages for consistent years, there could be serious structural issues. I would be very careful. Even walking the property could be dangerous. There will be a pretty great chance that someone/something has been living in it for sometime and there will be ample damages from that.

I suggest paying for a home inspection before you even talk to a contractor. This will make it easier to get a ballpark estimate from a contractor, without them even having to visit the property.

Be safe, be smart, be patient,

And best of luck to you.

Mike

User Stats

Votes
Jerryll Noorden#1 Wholesaling Contributor
  • Flipper/Rehabber
  • Wilton, CT
Votes |
Jerryll Noorden#1 Wholesaling Contributor
  • Flipper/Rehabber
  • Wilton, CT
Replied Sep 27 2019, 06:25

I would say plumbing, electrical, new kitchen all new bathrooms, new paint, probably new flooring (if you are in  place where it snows).

I would honestly count on a full gut