Business name vs personal name on postcards

8 Replies

I’m about to do my first marketing campaign in my local area and I’m wondering if it’s more effective to use a business name and sound really professional versus using a personal name to sound more casual and personable?

My hesitation with using the business name is that I don’t want to turn them off by thinking I’m a big company that’s going to lowball them.

What do you recommend?

Thanks!!

Daniel

As someone who has mailed hundreds of thousands of postcards, I don't think it matters to be quite honest.  I think that if someone is motivated enough to call a tiny postcard, they don't care too much about the name.  

More than likely, they will have a stack of postcards from other investors as well.  

In my experience, one of two things happens

1. They run down the list and call and talk to as many of the postcard senders as possible and schedule multiple appointments. 

2. You are the lucky winner, you are on top of the stack!  They call, you answer, they love you.  You set an appointment for later in the day and you get the deal! 

I think much more important than your name is does your postcard stand out?  I've had marketing agencies design fancy postcards and they had all the data in the world on why theirs would perform so well.  Well, those sucked.  

The best postcards in terms of calls are simple, non-glossy, and they typically offend people.  "property notice" "3rd Notice" "Warning" phrases like that.  Color doesn't matter much.  Yellow seems to be the standard.

These postcards will seriously piss people off.  They don't just throw them away.  They call you, cuss you, threaten to sue you, and are genuinely hurt, angry, upset, and offended.  

Trust me, I've heard it all.  

However...

For some reason, legit motivated sellers call these as well.  So...If you don't mind dealing with all the noise, you can get a deal this way.

Be prepared to send thousands a week though.  That is what it will take to really move the needle with postcards no matter what anyone else tells you.  Anything less and you might want to think about a different mailing medium.  Also, a really great list helps a ton.

[Solicitation Removed by Moderators]  Best of luck!

I don't have the experience or personal data to give you a solid answer here but would tend to agree with Colby above with the exception that, from what I have been told from several successful direct marketers, that a personal name does work better in most cases. This is a people business and often times, hunting for motivated sellers means dealing with family deaths, quick and stressful job transfers out of state, divorces, etc and it helps when they feel like they are talking to another person just like them rather than some company. But again, I have no personal experience with it, just what I was told several times by others.

I was on the other side of this transaction a year back.  I inherited property that was 2000 miles from where I lived.  I collected numerous letters and postcards that were mailed to me.

I eliminated any that I could not trace to a real business and an address--a google phone number with "Mike" was eliminated from consideration.  

I wanted a real business, hoping that they could really buy and not just Mike the wholeseller living out of the back of his van.

From the other end of the deal, I would recommend a return address with the business name and the content of the card being signed with a first and last name.

Those are the first ones I called.

In the end I was screwed over by a lying wholeseller company who lied to direct questions like is your company buying this house or are you trying to assign the contract to someone else?   So maybe my screening process was not good, but it is what I used.

@Lynnette E. Thank you so much for taking time to reply. This goes to show that what @Will Barnard was hearing has some real validity.

I’m sorry to hear about your experience. Unfortunately liars and crooks are out there making people who take this business serious look bad.

Hopefully you taking the time to share your experience will help the good guys in this business better at what we do so that we can be the ones whose message resonates with people who need to sell to an investor.

Thanks again for sharing!

@Daniel DeSurra I recommend using your personal name on the front of the envelope and then use your business logo inside of the envelope. People are typically more likely to open a mailer from a person. The logo on the inside lets them know you are reputable and also helps with branding when you send follow ups. 

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here