User Stats

Votes
Bobby Burns
Votes |
Insurance Adjuster vs. Public Adjuster

Bobby Burns
Posted Apr 28 2022, 11:12

Hey BiggerPockets! 

I want to share my current experience working with a public adjuster vs working with the insurance adjuster. 

I am currently working with a PA (public adjuster) company based out of Indianapolis for my 6unit property in Louisville to restore fire and water damage.  My PA wrote an estimate that was a lot more than the insurance companies original estimate (obvious to why). The GC who I am currently working with sent in an estimate for total repair cost to bring my property back to original use just slightly over the insurance companies estimate.  The PA plans on sending that estimate in but after the Public Adjusters 15% fee out of the GC estimate that will leave me with an out of pocket cost of $10K! Not to mention they missed huge ticket items like replacing electrical that the insurance company had listed on their estimate and has an estimated cost of $20K, and other small items that will add up to a few thousand.  At this point I feel the PA is coming up short in important areas that I needed their expertise on. They also mentioned at the beginning that the estimate will cover their cost and I wouldn't need to come out of pocket unless I personally decided to upgrade certain things in the property.  What are you thoughts on this or your experience working with Public Adjusters? Any advice moving forward?  

Thank you 

Bobby B.

User Stats

Votes
Bobby Burns
Votes |
Replied Jul 5 2022, 00:28

Following up on my experience working with a public adjuster...I highly recommend it!  The PA came through big in the end, and was the subject matter expert that I needed to represent me during this process while fighting the insurance company for proper coverage.  Initially my claim had changed hands when the original PA left the company in the middle of the process.  The new PA had to get caught up and there was some miscommunication that set us back.  But once they were caught up, I realized that I wouldn't have had certain things approved without the help of a PA reading the fine print.  Dont rely on the insurance companies adjuster to take care of you!  Get a PA on your side to represent you that will have your best interest in mind. They work will hard for their cut percentage cut and its worth it!

User Stats

Votes
Replied Sep 5 2023, 22:29

how much percentage the PA take in your case ? :)

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes