Votes |
Honeowner insurance versus landlord insurance

James Kim
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Los Angeles
Posted Jun 11 2022, 18:29

Hi,

Is landlord insurance always more expensive than homeowner insurance? 

I have a home in California and investment property in Dallas and I'm noticing this difference. Maybe its a state by state difference? But my insurance for investment property is more than my home in CA. Just curious is its normal that homeowners insurance is always cheaper than landlord insurance.

Thanks!

User Stats

Votes
Replied Jun 11 2022, 18:53

Hey James, best wishes in your real estate adventure. I live in CA and have been buying in Kansas City and have found landlord policies to be more expensive… seems logical that there is more risk and thus a higher price in how a tenant would treat a property vs an owner.

User Stats

Votes
Replied Jun 11 2022, 18:53

Hey James, best wishes in your real estate adventure. I live in CA and have been buying in Kansas City and have found landlord policies to be more expensive… seems logical that there is more risk and thus a higher price in how a tenant would treat a property vs an owner.

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Adam Martin
  • Rental Property Investor
Votes |
  • Rental Property Investor
Replied Jun 11 2022, 19:03

I think you just aren't comparing apples to apples since they are in different geographic locations which can affect rates.  I invest and live in the same area and my policies are always several hundred dollars cheaper a year for rentals.  My agent explained to me that my renters policies don't cover as much since I only have 5k in personal property for my appliances.  If the house burns down and the tenants stuff goes up in smoke that is what their renters insurance policy covers but my insurance won't touch it and I stress that in the beginning as to why they have to get renters insurance.  

User Stats

Votes
James Kim
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Los Angeles
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Los Angeles
Replied Jun 12 2022, 07:43

@George Red thanks for the feedback!

User Stats

Votes
James Kim
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Los Angeles
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Los Angeles
Replied Jun 12 2022, 07:43

@Adam Martin thanks for the feedback!

User Stats

Votes
John Mocker#1 Insurance Contributor
  • Insurance Agent
  • Norwalk, CT
Votes |
  • Insurance Agent
  • Norwalk, CT
Replied Jun 12 2022, 08:04

James,

I have found when comparing Homeowners policies to Landlord (Dwelling/Fire) policies that the Homeowners is generally less expensive.  Usually the Homeowners is less expensive even though it provide some coverage (Contents for example) that the Landlord policy does not (or at much lower limits).  It has to do with the average claims for the type of business.  Generally a Homeowner is going to treat their property better than a tenant occupied property.

User Stats

Votes
James Kim
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Los Angeles
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Los Angeles
Replied Jun 12 2022, 13:40
Quote from @John Mocker:

James,

I have found when comparing Homeowners policies to Landlord (Dwelling/Fire) policies that the Homeowners is generally less expensive.  Usually the Homeowners is less expensive even though it provide some coverage (Contents for example) that the Landlord policy does not (or at much lower limits).  It has to do with the average claims for the type of business.  Generally a Homeowner is going to treat their property better than a tenant occupied property.

Hi John,

thanks for the feedback. Yours and other responders all make sense. I just found it interesting that my ca home that is far and away (more than 3 times) more expensive than my investment property in Dallas is much cheaper than the investment property insurance. I'm talking half the cost. But I guess I can see the point.

Thanks!

User Stats

Votes
Mark Frattini
  • Real Estate Agent
  • San Diego, CA
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • San Diego, CA
Replied Jun 16 2022, 13:26

Hi @James Kim

Lot's of variables to consider however I suggest working with an insurance broker that has access to different coverage options and carriers for your properties. Before I started working with my current agent my rental properties did not have the right type of coverage and I was overpaying. 

User Stats

Votes
Rod Hanks
Pro Member
  • Insurance Agent
  • Dallas, TX
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Insurance Agent
  • Dallas, TX
Replied Jun 16 2022, 15:28
Quote from @James Kim:

Hi,

Is landlord insurance always more expensive than homeowner insurance? 

I have a home in California and investment property in Dallas and I'm noticing this difference. Maybe its a state by state difference? But my insurance for investment property is more than my home in CA. Just curious is its normal that homeowners insurance is always cheaper than landlord insurance.

Thanks!

DFW has one of the highest property insurance rates in the country due to the hail storms. So not a fair comparison.