Insurance

User Stats

Votes
Gabriel Tapang
Pro Member
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Wilsonville, OR
Votes |
Special insurance considerations with a hot tub onsite?

Gabriel Tapang
Pro Member
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Wilsonville, OR
Posted Aug 11 2022, 15:05

Hi BP fam,

Getting kind of nervous now we have renters (family with kids) approved for my property in Southern Oregon that has a hot tub onsite. I've heard various opinions on opening yourself up to this type of liability ranging from "I never rent a property with a pool/hot tub" to "make sure when screening the tenants you make it a requirement they have sufficient insurance coverage" to "having a hot tub onsite for short term rentals is key."

Does anyone have any personal anecdotes or advice on this situation? Should I be ok if I just notify my insurance company that the property is no longer my primary and is being rented long term?

Thanks for any insight into this....

User Stats

Votes
Sergey A. Petrov
  • Real Estate Consultant
  • Seattle, WA
Votes |
  • Real Estate Consultant
  • Seattle, WA
Replied Aug 11 2022, 16:53

You’ll need new insurance, yes. A hot tub may or may not be an issue for an insurance co (pools almost always are). I have a short term rental in the heart of Seattle. It is a 3 story single family home with the hot tub on the third floor deck. Never had an issue but am told (the house is professionally managed) that maintenance on it is intensive between checking chemicals in the water, maintaining the water levels with heavy use (and water temperature by extension since it takes 24 hours to heat up to normal operating temp after refilling), filters, hair, other cleaning etc etc etc