Skip to content
Insurance

User Stats

Votes
Megan Dwyer
Votes |
Duplex: 1 structure, 2 deeds. Need 2 insurance policies?

Megan Dwyer
Posted Nov 27 2022, 21:10

Buying a side-by-side duplex in Kansas. It is all one physical structure, but is 2 deeds. One unit's front door faces east, while the other front door faces south, so the two units have different street addresses. Given that it is all one physical structure (but there are two deeds), can I do just one landlord policy or do I need two? Getting very mixed answers from different insurance agents. 

User Stats

Votes
John Mocker#1 Insurance Contributor
  • Insurance Agent
  • Norwalk, CT
Votes |
  • Insurance Agent
  • Norwalk, CT
Replied Nov 28 2022, 07:14

Megan,

I can understand your confusion.  There are indeed different answers to the question.  First, it depends whether the policy(ies) are in the Personal Lines area.  Dwelling Fire Policies (aka Landlord policies) with different companies may have different underwriting.  Some companies may be able to write multiple locations on the same policy while others need to do separate policies.  One caution on separate policies, write them both with the same company.  You do not want two companies fighting over how much each of their share is.

If you insure it under a Commercial form, there is generally no problem with both locations being on the same policy.  

User Stats

Votes
Will Fraser
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Salt Lake City & Oklahoma City
Votes |
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Salt Lake City & Oklahoma City
Replied Nov 28 2022, 07:17

Mixed answers because this is a truly odd situation.

It shouldn't be on two deeds IMO.  This isn't new enough of a structure to likely be in an area that is zoned in such a way to preclude duplexes, and in my experience just because a duplex has different street facing addresses doesn't usually mean that the deed needs to be for two half homes.  However, if they are truly two independent properties (like zoned Half-Duplex) then you could have a significantly higher property value than if they are truly one duplex that the title company messed up the deed on.

Back to the insurance debacle . . . you'll likely be well served by a master policy for the property and then a rider that specifies the other address.  Any savvy commercial agent should be able to work up the right solution, and if you need a recommendation then I'd give Chad Endres a call at Thrive Insurance in Oklahoma City.

Vacasa logo
Vacasa
|
Sponsored
We do the work. You get the ROI. We do it all for your vacation rental. All—marketing, pricing, guest requests, housekeeping & more.

User Stats

Votes
Rhett Tullis
Property Manager
Pro Member
  • Property Manager
  • Oklahoma City, OK
Votes |
Property Manager
Pro Member
  • Property Manager
  • Oklahoma City, OK
Replied Dec 8 2022, 08:23

Most insurance companies like us want to make all they can so of course they will want to set up two policies.  You may find one carrier that will combine them but not likely.  Pretty common here in okc for them to split a duplex like this on two deeds.  Most builders are hoping to sell to owner occupants and so that opens up more options on the sale side.  Older duplexes where I am from are often on one but new tend to be two.

User Stats

Votes
Caroline Gerardo
  • Lender
  • Laguna Niguel, CA
Votes |
  • Lender
  • Laguna Niguel, CA
Replied Dec 8 2022, 11:29

Assessor taxes as two separate numbers? When owner did this they could have set up like two condos with agreements about roof, zero lot line, and shared walls. It that wasn't completed you might want to look into recording and organizing this. 

There would be a master policy that covers the roof, exterior, and any shared amenities. Can't tell if they share meters...

Is the land divided in any way on title? Who does the landscaping? 

Then a contents or like a HO6 policy. Your insurance agent should guide you.

User Stats

Votes
Bill Brandt#3 1031 Exchanges Contributor
  • Investor
  • Las Vegas, NV
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Las Vegas, NV
Replied Dec 8 2022, 12:04

If they can be sold separately (which they can if they have sepearete PIDs.) then they each need a separate policy. Many people own 1/2 of a duplex (me included) and obviously me and the other owner each need policies. If I bought their property I would still need two policies.