• Chicago IL
Votes |
Insurance for properties held in LLC but not occupied

Kevin Kittilsen
Pro Member
  • Developer
  • Chicago IL
Posted Dec 1 2022, 06:05

I hold a couple of properties in a series LLC. Both properties are currently uninhabited as we prepare plans to demolish the existing homes to clear way for development.

Property A consists of two parcels, one parcel with one home, the other parcel with two homes on it. All three homes are in poor condition and I have no plans to put renters in.

Property B consists of one parcel with a single family home. The home is also in very poor condition and no plans to put renters in.

However, I want to make sure I have property liability coverage should something happen on the properties, someone trip and fall, etc.. Looking for advice on what type of policy this would be.

Thanks in advance!

User Stats

Votes
John Mocker#1 Insurance Contributor
  • Insurance Agent
  • Norwalk, CT
Votes |
  • Insurance Agent
  • Norwalk, CT
Replied Dec 1 2022, 07:54

Kevin,

You can get a General Liability policy to cover the two parcels as vacant dwellings. If the LLC has other Liability coverage you may also be able to extend coverage to these parcels.

The demolition may be a problem with a lot of Insurance Companies.  You may have to cancel the vacant dwelling policy and get different coverage during the demo.   If you are using a demo company see about having their company can extend a short term policy to you during the demo.

After the Demo, you would either insure the parcels as vacant land or if you are starting construction right away, insure them as either as part of the Builders Risk Package or a separate liability policy along with it.

User Stats

Votes
Jason Bott
Pro Member
#2 Insurance Contributor
  • Insurance Agent
  • Nationwide
Votes |
Pro Member
#2 Insurance Contributor
  • Insurance Agent
  • Nationwide
Replied Dec 1 2022, 08:43

@Kevin Kittilsen I 2nd @John Mocker comments.  We have tried to place only General Liability on condemned homes and no insurance carrier wants it.  

The proper fit is with a Vacant Building policy and try and get the Building Limit as low as possible.

In regards to the demolition, there are a few insurance carriers here in the Midwest that will do demolition policies for single family homes.

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
John Warren
  • Real Estate Broker
  • 1658 N. Milwaukee Ave Ste B PMP 18969 Chicago, IL 60647
Votes |
  • Real Estate Broker
  • 1658 N. Milwaukee Ave Ste B PMP 18969 Chicago, IL 60647
Replied Dec 6 2022, 05:42

@Kevin Kittilsen I can put you in touch with my insurance guy who is local here in Chicago. I feel like there has to be a better solution here. Maybe some sort of umbrella policy or something for the LLC? The right insurance person would know.

• Real Estate Agent IL (#475.166619)

Forte Properties, Inc Logo