• Investor
  • Bay Area, CA
Votes |
SFH roof insurance claim - replace or repair

Jim G.
  • Investor
  • Bay Area, CA
Posted Dec 8 2022, 20:01

The SFH is located in Orlando, FL which is normally not a place to hit hurricane often. The SFH was built n 2005 that means the roof is 17 years old. When the hurricane Ian came, though it reduced the force when it reached Orlando, it still blew away a few shingles that estimated repair cost around $1k.

Under the advice of PM, I claimed the insurance. The insurance gave term of replacement. Since it only covers the cash value and if add up the deductible, I only got total $2700. My SFH is about 1800sf single floor. $2700 obvious is way short to cover the replace of the roof. So I would consider to repair.

My question:  did I violate the term of this claim if I do the "repair" not "replace"?  In the end, it is my money.  What the insurance can do to me?  Would the same insurance refuse to renew next time if I do "repair"?  I've talked to the adjuster who was handling my claim.  She seams don't care whether I do "repair" or "replacement".  However, when I called the insurance agent he said I need to go with "replacement". Otherwise the insurance company won't renew.  Would I have trouble to find another insurance if this one refuse to renew?  Frankly, I only paid the premium w/o making claim in past 10 plus year on this house.  

User Stats

Votes
Bill Brandt#3 1031 Exchanges Contributor
  • Investor
  • Las Vegas, NV
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Las Vegas, NV
Replied Dec 8 2022, 20:08

Your PM screwed you…thee is ZERO CHANCE you should have made a claim. You shoulda have paid the $1,000 for the repair out of pocket. 

If you take the replacement money and then only do the repair and you do get a renal, which you might not, you probably have zero roof insurance if you make another claim. Because you won’t have a new roof, you’ll have a 17 year old one. 

Too bad you can’t go back in time and get replacement insurance instead of ACV. This is where the insurance agent let you down. That’s probably a $5k difference?

If you make this claim you’re going to lose any no-claim discount you were getting on any policies which is why I would paid the $1,000 out of pocket and maintained a $2500 deductible with replacement cost insurance. Good luck with the path you’re on and let us know what happens. 

User Stats

Votes
Tony Wilcox
  • Insurance Agent
Votes |
  • Insurance Agent
Replied Dec 9 2022, 05:59

Yes, similar to above.. If you only repair you technically still have a 17 year old roof. Also next claim you try and file on the roof will be denied as they expected you to put on a new roof. 

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Replied Dec 9 2022, 10:16
Quote from @Jim G.:

The SFH is located in Orlando, FL which is normally not a place to hit hurricane often. The SFH was built n 2005 that means the roof is 17 years old. When the hurricane Ian came, though it reduced the force when it reached Orlando, it still blew away a few shingles that estimated repair cost around $1k.

Under the advice of PM, I claimed the insurance. The insurance gave term of replacement. Since it only covers the cash value and if add up the deductible, I only got total $2700. My SFH is about 1800sf single floor. $2700 obvious is way short to cover the replace of the roof. So I would consider to repair.

My question:  did I violate the term of this claim if I do the "repair" not "replace"?  In the end, it is my money.  What the insurance can do to me?  Would the same insurance refuse to renew next time if I do "repair"?  I've talked to the adjuster who was handling my claim.  She seams don't care whether I do "repair" or "replacement".  However, when I called the insurance agent he said I need to go with "replacement". Otherwise the insurance company won't renew.  Would I have trouble to find another insurance if this one refuse to renew?  Frankly, I only paid the premium w/o making claim in past 10 plus year on this house.  

Hello Jim! I went through a very similar circumstance. I also live in Orlando FL and have investment properties here. I had storm damage (a couple shingles were blown off) on one of my properties. I made a claim with my insurance company and they said they would only replace the missing shingles, but the cost to do so wouldn't reach my deductible. So I was basically told to pay for it on my own. I hired an attorney to argue the insurance company. We were able to get the insurance company to pay for a full replacement and my attorney fees. I would highly recommend going this route. Insurance companies will tell you to only fix the missing shingles to try and get out of giving you a new roof. I now have a new roof and have switched to a new insurance company that offers me a better premium. 

The attorney I used was Hogan Law 5840 S. Semoran Blvd., Orlando, FL 32822

Mary Margaret Bryant - EXP Realty - 321-320-1774

User Stats

Votes
Jerry V.
  • Contractor
  • Richardson, TX
Votes |
  • Contractor
  • Richardson, TX
Replied Dec 9 2022, 10:48

(FROM A ROOFER!)  It sounds like some "door knocking" roofer talked you into making a claim, right!? lol  They usually don't know the specifics of the situation, and don't care!  They just want to sell a new roof, then go on to the next one...

As others have said above, now that it is AFTER the claim was done, and they approved it (for what the policy was for! ... I.e. Cash value only), now you must replace it, no matter the cost to yourself, or you won't be renewed, and most likely won't be covered by other ins co's because they all pull from a central "core" database that keeps this info.  (MOSTly, SOME times you'll get lucky and slip through, able to get a new policy with a different company)

But remember, YOU set up the policy this way... most likely to get cheaper premiums over the long run, correct!?  There are times when you simply trust your agent to do everything, so they set up a cheap policy, without the policy holder knowing the specifics... bad move!

Bite the bullet, find a reasonable Roofer there in your area (not cheap, not expensive) but has a record of LONGEVITY there... and replace the roof!  No more worries, concerns, or wondering what will happen next or IF you'll be covered etc etc.  Oh and of course, look over your policy and make what changes YOU think is necessary.

Good luck!  (Jerry w/J's Roofing ,  Richardson, TX)

User Stats

Votes
Adam Bartomeo
Property Manager
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Cape Coral, FL
Votes |
Property Manager
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Cape Coral, FL
Replied Dec 9 2022, 12:26

So, we are in Cape Coral and we have to replace at least 30 roofs in our portfolio as well as a plethora of other items. 

On one particular roof we chose not to replace it even though the insurance company paid us for a full roof replacement. We made this decision because we feel that once repaired the roof will have many years left and we don't want to waste a perfectly fine roof. We have the full knowledge going into this that we will be unable to put in another claim on this roof until the roof is fully changed. And, we have accepted that responsibility. 

I have advised EVERYONE that I know to put in a claim. It costs nothing and you do not have to move forward with the claim if doesn't make sense. It sounds like you did not have this knowledge. 

Honestly, I think that you made the right decision. You have a 17 yr old roof that is at the end of its life and if it didn't get changed in the next couple of years you would have a really hard time getting insurance. Due to the age of your roof you probably have a much higher premium. This was probably one of your only chances that you will have to put in an insurance claim and not have it effect your premium (with a major storm they not allowed to raise your rates for a claim). So, you are at least getting some money for the roof, your rates should go down because of having a new roof, and the value of the home will go up. Sounds like a winner to me.

User Stats

Votes
Jim G.
  • Investor
  • Bay Area, CA
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Bay Area, CA
Replied Dec 9 2022, 13:20

Thanks very much @Mary Margaret Bryant@Tony Wilcox@Bill Brandt.  Having talked with the lawyer that @Mary Margaret Bryant referred, seems I don’t have a case here.  I need to find a good and reasonable priced roofer and go ahead to replace the roof.  If you have anybody in mind in Orlando area, please refer.  Oh yeah, if you have a good PM, I open to change the agent.  

User Stats

Votes
Replied Dec 9 2022, 14:00
Quote from @Jim G.:

Thanks very much @Mary Margaret Bryant@Tony Wilcox@Bill Brandt.  Having talked with the lawyer that @Mary Margaret Bryant referred, seems I don’t have a case here.  I need to find a good and reasonable priced roofer and go ahead to replace the roof.  If you have anybody in mind in Orlando area, please refer.  Oh yeah, if you have a good PM, I open to change the agent.  

Rich Faas with Top Notch Roofing has replaced every roof on my investment properties. Has always given me a fair price. 

User Stats

Votes
Jim G.
  • Investor
  • Bay Area, CA
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Bay Area, CA
Replied Dec 9 2022, 15:29

Thanks very much.

User Stats

Votes
Peter Davis
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Cape Coral, FL
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Cape Coral, FL
Replied Dec 10 2022, 07:18

The reason insurance premiums are so high, and rising, in Florida is because so many insurance companies have either pulled out of Florida, or went out of business in the years since Hurricane Irma. People lost "a couple shingles" and lawyered-up to fight their insurance companies, and wound up with an entirely new roof. Great for them but not great for everyone else. That's not what insurance is for, but unfortunately there's no lack of scumbag lawyers willing to fight for something policy holders don't need or deserve, to the detriment of the rest. 

John R Wood Properties Logo

User Stats

Votes
Aaron Porter
  • Insurance Agent
  • all 50 states
Votes |
  • Insurance Agent
  • all 50 states
Replied Dec 27 2022, 12:35

This is on of the many reasons why I advocate for clients to get Replacement Cost Value insurance for their properties.  Yes it is not as cheap on your monthly expense sheet but it will save you thousands if not 10s of thousands of dollars in the long run by properly insuring your investments.  Insurance companies get to depreciate everything in your home over time just like you do on your taxes and the cost to fix things is always more expensive in the future inflation, appreciation, supply/demand, labor, etc.  all those things are going to be more expensive in a year from now, in 10 years from now.  saving $500 a year on ACV is in my opinion a serious disservice to you.  

@Jim G. I am sorry you get to go through replacing the roof on your property mostly out of pocket.