Insurance

User Stats

Votes
Jackie Sherrell
Votes |
Flood Insurance Recommendations

Jackie Sherrell
Posted Jan 30 2023, 09:00

Hi, does anyone have recommendations for flood insurance in Florida? I am currently closing on a place in Pensacola and am comparing quotes. My current best is about $850/yr (through USAA portal). If anyone has better recommendations that would be great! TYIA!

User Stats

Votes
John Mocker#1 Insurance Contributor
  • Insurance Agent
  • Norwalk, CT
Votes |
  • Insurance Agent
  • Norwalk, CT
Replied Jan 30 2023, 09:23

Jackie,

Flood Insurance is now rated based on the actual location. Both the national flood Insurance program through FEMA and the private market flood insurance providers rate based on the location. Without the location and the limits its impossible to say how competitive the rates are. Generally I recommend working with an independent Agent that can access many of the private market carriers. I have found them to be the most completive option in our area. The problem is that, the carrier that is best for one property may not be the best for the next one. If you can't find an agent that will shop the Flood coverage PM me and I will see if I can get you recommendations.

User Stats

Votes
Cameron Moore
Pro Member
#3 Insurance Contributor
  • Insurance Agent
  • DFW, TX
Votes |
Pro Member
#3 Insurance Contributor
  • Insurance Agent
  • DFW, TX
Replied Jan 30 2023, 09:24

Just make sure you give an insurance broker a chance. They typically have 4-5 flood options that they can compare as opposed to you calling 4 Captive insurance companies (Captive being USAA, STATE FARM, FARMERS, etc.) 

• Insurance Agent Missouri (#3002404805), Alabama (#3002405934), Texas (#2415793), Georgia (#3595431), and New Mexico (#19197454)

• ProCo Insurance
ProCo Insurance Logo
BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Joel Case
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Ocean Springs, MS
Votes |
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Ocean Springs, MS
Replied Jan 30 2023, 09:31

The advice given previously is great, but I usually contact a few insurance brokers and see who has the best rates any time I am up for a renewal/new policy. 

User Stats

Votes
Matt Jones
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Pensacola, FL
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Pensacola, FL
Replied Jan 31 2023, 09:49

I agree that talking to an insurance broker is the way to go.  For the Pensacola area I really like Cynthia with Dax Gill Insurance in Gulf Breeze and Karen with Underwood Anderson in Pensacola.