Insurance

User Stats

Votes
Kate Purse
Pro Member
  • New to Real Estate
  • Valencia, CA
Votes |
Type of Insurance for SFH rental property?

Kate Purse
Pro Member
  • New to Real Estate
  • Valencia, CA
Posted Mar 12 2023, 12:09

I'm buying a SFH as a residential rental property and wanted advice on what type of insurance I need. Some of the forum responses are a few years old and I don't know if policies or views on policies have changed since then. Deets:  SFH, 2/1, straight up residential rental, I am the property manager, no LLC as of now.  

User Stats

Votes
Nathan Grabau
  • Realtor
  • Longmont, CO
Votes |
  • Realtor
  • Longmont, CO
Replied Mar 12 2023, 12:18

Standard insurance, with a rental rider on it. I would make sure in your lease you require tenants to get renters insurance. Their renters insurance will cover things like damage they cause or displacement costs. 

User Stats

Votes
Randy Rodenhouse
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Charleston, SC
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Charleston, SC
Replied Mar 12 2023, 17:16

You need to get a landlord policy on the property. I would get a pretty high amount of liability coverage since liability insurance is very inexpensive.  I also have the tenants get renters insurance and have them put you on the policy.

BiggerPockets logo
Find, Vet and Invest in Syndications
|
BiggerPockets
PassivePockets will help you find sponsors, evaluate deals, and learn how to invest with confidence.

User Stats

Votes
Eliott Elias#3 BRRRR - Buy, Rehab, Rent, Refinance, Repeat Contributor
  • Investor
  • Austin, TX
Votes |
Eliott Elias#3 BRRRR - Buy, Rehab, Rent, Refinance, Repeat Contributor
  • Investor
  • Austin, TX
Replied Mar 12 2023, 20:00

You need a landlord policy. Talk to a insurance agent about your options ie. what the extent of your coverage will look like. 

User Stats

Votes
Alex L.
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Youngstown, OH
Votes |
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Youngstown, OH
Replied Mar 12 2023, 21:13

Talk to an (independent) insurance agent who is familiar with real estate investment insurance. 

When I first got in the game not too long ago, I had 1 SFH. I've worked in insurance for about 5 years (personal lines, not commercial) so I knew that I could either (a) get a standard homeowner's policy with a rental rider, or (b) get a dwelling fire policy, which is what most professional landlords get (the major difference is whether or not the contents of the home are insured). So, I go a dwelling policy for the ACV of the property, and the cheapest I found was for $510/year through Foremost by using a local run-of-the-mill independent agent. The ACV limit was $65k, and I had bought the house for $18k, so I was comfortable simply taking the $65k and walking away if the house god forbid burnt down.

Then I started getting more serious about real estate investing, and bought two more SFHs at the same time. Called up the agent's office, was quoted for $700/yr and $650/yr for both houses, which would give them their own dwelling fire policies. I bit the bullet and paid the price, the ACV limit was for $50k for each property, and I paid $22k and $25k so no big deal. But then about two weeks later I joined a local real estate FB group, and learned about everyone's go-to insurance agency in the area. Gave them a call, told them my situation, and they put me together a business policy. It was a single policy for a business ("Description: LANDLORD, Type: individual/sole proprietor") that included all 3 properties, had all the previous coverage I had including increased liability limits AND ACV values by about 55%, and the cost? Just $620/yr through American National.

I'm not sure if you can get a business policy for just a single rental... I don't see why you couldn't, but again, my personal in depth experience with insurance is personal lines, not commercial. Either way, definitely see which agents in your area are landlord-friendly. It pays to look around. In my case, it saved me over $1200/yr.