Skip to content
Insurance

User Stats

Votes
Corben Briggs
  • Rental Property Investor
  • boston, MA
Votes |
Homeowners Insurance for Short Term Rental in NH?

Corben Briggs
  • Rental Property Investor
  • boston, MA
Posted Mar 11 2024, 08:20

What's up guys! 

I will be closing on a new property in Sanbornton, NH on 4/1 and am currently looking for the best policy/quote for homeowners insurance. This will be a "3/4 full time" short term rental / second home while I do plan on visiting once every month or so for the week/weekend depending on vacancy. 

Does anyone know of reputable insurance providers they recommend? I've been quoted by a few however some declined coverage for being a log cabin semi close to the lake and a 2nd home or did not cover loss-of-rent.

anything works!

Thanks

User Stats

Votes
John Mocker#1 Insurance Contributor
  • Insurance Agent
  • Norwalk, CT
Votes |
  • Insurance Agent
  • Norwalk, CT
Replied Mar 11 2024, 09:31

Corben,

Seems that the Log Cabin construction is your big issue.  We represent many Homeowners Insurance companies and Most do not write Log cabin construction.  Some of those that will write them, require that they be contractor built from kits or only __ yrs old.  

Best Advise I can give is to contact multiple Independent Agents that write in NH to search as many companies as possible.  If that does not work, you may need to get coverage through the Excess/Surplus markets (ie. Lloyds of London, etc.).  

User Stats

Votes
James Carlson
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Denver CO | Colorado Springs, CO
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Denver CO | Colorado Springs, CO
Replied Mar 11 2024, 11:47

@Corben Briggs

Proper has been the biggest name focused on STR insurance for awhile. They're worth reaching out to.

But everyone seems to offer some kind of vacation rental/Airbnb insurance product now. State Farm, All-State, etc. etc. 

Lloyd's of London seems to underwrite a lot of my STR clients' policies here in Colorado.

Good luck!

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes